Modified camping chair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I’ve just read a post on a social media site, instabook or something like that, a question was posed as to anyone who has modded a standard camping chair.

So my question is, have you even modded one, of so do you have photos, and if you haven’t, what add ons would you use.

I’m thinking solar charger for the phone and Bluetooth speakers, or maybe some form of reading light on a bendy stick.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
How long do you plan to sit there? I can't get out of a camp chair if it doesn't have arms.
In a goose blind, I need places for food and drink that won't spill if I have to stand up fast for a shot.
It's usually pass shooting across a pea field, something like that.
I want an insulated seat pad for a day of -10C. That was easy to fix up.
The insulated coffee mug needs a pouch pocket so it won't tip over.

There are 3 or 4 different camp chairs here of common designs and popularity.
I like them all for my boney butt if I can add some seat insulation.
The folders are more confortable for me than the solids.

I bought a "Walkstool Comfort 75" tripod stool. 500 lb load limit. Scandi mfg.
Sit down before you look up the price.
Don't. It can bust your cojones.
I set it up in my kitchen to test it, damn near fell over every time I tried to sit on it.
Dangerous for a geezer like me, living alone but for the cat.

Reactions: Jay2882

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My only mod is a sheepskin to keep my back and bum warm if it's chilly. No way do I want to sit next to someone with Bluetooth speakers grinding out some music I hate. If you need a phone in the woods you can't be doing it right! I may have one on me but it's switched off.. which means I'm not using battery anyway so it doesn't need charging. As for a reading lights. . That's what a headtorch is for. Daft idea! (Shakes head and smiles ruefully :) ) but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: norfolknun

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
Well I wasn’t expecting to duck for cover with a few ideas. The speaker and charger where just ideas to get people thinking.

Anyway, having some insulation is a good idea, I always find if I do have a chair, it’s facing the fire and your back gets cold, so some form of insulated back and bum would be good.

I also always have my phone on, not just for a phone, but for the camera, so having a way to charge it up is handy.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Seriously, I strive to avoid such "trauchle". This is about as hi-tech as it gets.
l-an-std_black_1.jpg

Smiley face.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hate those folding chairs. Last time I was at the moot I went to the local Tesco and bought a plastic garden chair. At least I was sitting upright and could get out of the chair easily. I know the folding ones are handy but they're just too uncomfortable.

If totally bushcraft/bushcraft, I'll use a log and build a screen behind to block the wind.

Improvements ? something to stop the wind whistling around my legs and feet too.
Y'know what would work ? a seating tarp. A piece of something windproof cut to drape and wrap round and stop the freezing back and backside and feet while the front scorches....and a seperate mug spike like the kind (I think it was Tinky Pete? or Whittler Kev) and Eric Methven made. Someplace safe and up off the ground to put the mug down and leave hands free.

Reactions: Woody girl

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I’m thinking solar charger for the phone and Bluetooth speakers, or maybe some form of reading light on a bendy stick.

If you're moving your stuff by car, a small solar panel connected to a 12 volt lead gel battery will store enough power for charging via a 12 volt USB adaptor. That's how I charge the tablet I am using at the moment. I can also read books off it without the need for reading.lamp as well.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
A stratigicaly placed log by your chair makes a good tea/coffee/hot choc mug stand. Bushcraft coffee table :) . Toddy you are right about chilly legs. I sometimes use a small wooly blanket wrapped round my lower portions works quite well. But perhaps a canvas windshield wrapped round the legs of the chair and clipped on somehow with a small sump heater underneath the chair to warm your backside up nicely would work? :) :) think I could go for that myself!

Reactions: Toddy

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
A stratigicaly placed log by your chair makes a good tea/coffee/hot choc mug stand. Bushcraft coffee table :) . Toddy you are right about chilly legs. I sometimes use a small wooly blanket wrapped round my lower portions works quite well. But perhaps a canvas windshield wrapped round the legs of the chair and clipped on somehow with a small sump heater underneath the chair to warm your backside up nicely would work? :) :)

I always look for a strategically placed tree, and sit leaning against it back to the wind, the ground is my table. I appreciate this won't work for everyone. I've got one of these folding pad things to sit on and always manage get comfy. My Tam 'o' Shanter bonnet acts as a head rest between my heed and the tree. Perhaps I should invent the Bushcraft equipment of ;
6a00d8341c5dea53ef010536eea7db970c-800wi

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
How about a giant clip on umbrella so you can sit out in the rain and stay dry.. or the sun without getting sunburn, Like they have on baby buggies. ?
OK I'm being a bit silly now but actually that's not a bad idea when sat out on a beach or grassy knoll.
One thing I'd like to invent is a quick deploying smoke Shield as I always seem to sit directly in the smoke no matter how many times I move !

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I always look for a strategically placed tree, and sit leaning against it back to the wind, the ground is my table. I appreciate this won't work for everyone. I've got one of these folding pad things to sit on and always manage get comfy. My Tam 'o' Shanter bonnet acts as a head rest between my heed and the tree. Perhaps I should invent the Bushcraft equipment of ;
6a00d8341c5dea53ef010536eea7db970c-800wi
I had one of those once. Forgot about it, got up to make a cup of tea and promptly fell over :( canyou invent one that comes up to my waist as my circulation is diabolical from the waist down! A nice cammo pattern material would make it nice and bushcrafty. :)

Reactions: Sundowner

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I discovered these things called clothes. ;)

Gaiters seem to be as good as it get there :rolleyes: I've got little feet, they freeze! and while it's fine in Summer, sitting outside under a 'chute from five o'clock onwards until bedtime in Winter is pretty miserable after a bit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had one of those once. Forgot about it, got up to make a cup of tea and promptly fell over :( canyou invent one that comes up to my waist as my circulation is diabolical from the waist down! A nice cammo pattern material would make it nice and bushcrafty. :)

Those things are lethal. Major trip hazard, even if you can get them with battery powered heating.

You can get a sleeping bag with a heavy duty water/mud foot inside (it's meant for squaddies who are in need of sleep but also needed to be instantly ready for action. Those work pretty well, if you can find a cheap used one just for sitting in...Kev at Endicott's might have something ?

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ha ha I can see the same thing happening with the sleeping bag! Could make for some emergency first aid fun :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sit in a cheap sleeping bag, boots and all, with the zipper undone.
All the wind screen you want. Anything (cheap tarp) to get out of the wind.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
what add ons would you use.

wheels, ashtray, hairdryer and a button that produces the voice of Patrick Stewart

but seriously some kind of dump pouch hanging off the side is endlessly handy

touchline furniture is a fine art here :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE