Modern British army clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
In the 1980’s most of us serving bought a lot of our own kit because the issue wasn’t as good e.g. norgie tops buffalo or softie coats, sas smocks berghaus rucksacks etc

My question to those serving now or using post 2013 kit, what do you regard as rubbish and what do you replace it with ?

Reactions: Madriverrob

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
The current uniform is based on years of feedback from troops with a few innovations from outdoor gear.
Karimor boots are good, on issue so no need for scarpas.
There isn't really anything needing private purchase to be fair.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Karimor boots are ace for fit and comfort, how tough they are well I'll have to get back to you on that. most other things I've looked to maybe using seems ok but fit for me anyhow can be a bit odd.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think on the whole it hits the mark although a lot could still be learnt from the outdoor clothing industry particularly WRT reducing weight / bulk and improving design. Modern hi tec fabrics aren’t cheap hence the quality will always be of a lesser standard with issue gear. This is really evident in some of the stuff the MOD has copied from what the guys used to buy. I also find it sad but hardly surprising that a lot of it is now made in China under contract, again I get the whole value for money / competion rules but it still seems wrong not to support British Industry.

Reactions: Leshy and Macaroon

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
I left the Navy in 2014 so I wasn't that bothered about the gucci camo gear as such. Our 'foulies' were made of goretex and the softy suits etc were great. The boots are a million times better than either the 'high legs' or DMS boots I was first issued in the mid 80's. I'm lucky enough to still get the odd 'present' from mates and for walking up serious hills I generally take my civvy gear, over the years the issue gear has crept in more and now the Haix boots are my 'go to'. For general outdoor 'faffing' that doesn't require ultra lightweight then its probably 50/50 although I'm one to avoid wearing combat gear which might have a bearing on that.

Basically, its all a million times better than it was 'back in the day' when I were a lad.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The current uniform is based on years of feedback from troops with a few innovations from outdoor gear.
Karimor boots are good, on issue so no need for scarpas.
There isn't really anything needing private purchase to be fair.

What sort of karrimor boots are they ?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The kit on websites I have seen for surplus looks ok but thin and weird sizing. Such as these 3
Lightweight Thermal Smock. Copy of a buffalo
Thermal Jacket (Thinner than the older softie)
Cold Weather Fleece Thermal Undershirt

Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Perfect for Otterburn, Brecon, Scotland and anywhere it is inclement

https://www.cadetdirect.com/british-forces-karrimor-sf-combat-boot-mod-brown-g1-used

Although better pics for the black version
https://www.cadetdirect.com/karrimor-sf-combat-boot-black

The kit on websites I have seen for surplus looks ok but thin and weird sizing. Such as these 3
Lightweight Thermal Smock. Copy of a buffalo
Thermal Jacket (Thinner than the older softie)
Cold Weather Fleece Thermal Undershirt

there is also the aircrew thermal jacket too…..

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
I loved my cardboard lined boots DMS lol.

Combat jackets and the trousers with the wee pocket that no one knew what it was for were great. Wool jumpers were good too but by far the worst was the WW2 helmet c/w spider inner and canvas chin strap.

I liked the 58 pattern webbing, a well worn set properly set up and modded worked well. Pity it weighed twice as much when wet.

New stuff these days is so much better but with my middle age spread now its not so easy to get off the shelf gear that fits. I need to mod it myself.

Atb

John

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
I loved my cardboard lined boots DMS lol.

Combat jackets and the trousers with the wee pocket that no one knew what it was for were great. Wool jumpers were good too but by far the worst was the WW2 helmet c/w spider inner and canvas chin strap.

I liked the 58 pattern webbing, a well worn set properly set up and modded worked well. Pity it weighed twice as much when wet.

New stuff these days is so much better but with my middle age spread now its not so easy to get off the shelf gear that fits. I need to mod it myself.

Atb

John

I feel ya pain bro, I feel ya pain. It happens to the best of us. :woot:

Reactions: scottisha5

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
Chomp, “during the war” lol. KF shirts and cheese cloth grundies, chinese fighting suit and long johns with the gusset down to your knees, cup green, polyester barrack dress trousers and black “road slippers” :)

Why is it than when you're in the Mob you go out of your way to buy your own gear but when you leave you're quite happy to use Forces kit. It a mystery that's right up there with the Marie Celeste and why you bloody joined up in the first place. ;)

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
One thing i did notice was the issue of yeti attack gaiters to the Royal Welsh stationed in the Baltics…. gaiters you either love them or you don't

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
I've never been near the army, but I use a lot of current issue stuff for deer stalking. Most of it seems really good and dirt cheap compared with the hunting clothing brands like Harkila and the like.

I use the fleece tops, which are cut really long at the back. Also use the Softie jacket, pullover smock and the "goretex" trousers. All are good.

Best bargain is the combined smock / waterproof shell. They're about 80 quid off eBay. I've used mine in some terrible weather and never got wet.

Good thing about this kit for me is I can do what I want in it without thinking about what it cost

Reactions: Leshy

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I only did some time in the TA infantry in the 80's, but we would buy extra kit. Army cadets get issued better kit now than we had then.

A suplus store near me has a £1 pallet of odds and ends out side, I noticed the other day it was full of bits of 58 webbing, I was tempted to get a set for my son to take to cadets for a laugh

Reactions: scottisha5

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE