Mobile Phone GPS software, OS maps, Tom Tom Software?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Help ?

My mobile contract is due to renew now. I currently use a blackberry as it pushes my emails etc.

Ok now I am a complete technophobe with stuff like this but figure its time to get up to speed.

What mobile can I use that will allow me to us OS mapsoftware like a gps in the hills. ( I currently have a SATMAP) I am trying to figure out is there a way to carry one device that will be a Mobile and a GPS be able to get my emails etc.

On a plus point would also be the choice of running proper route finding software such as Tom Tom or similar for driving.

I already have the whole of the UK on Anquet maps so would this help? Its only 1:50 and I would really like to get 1:25 if possible.

They have offered me a new Blackberry which I am quite happy with but I can move networks etc so free to shop about a bit.

I have seen a few threads on here but got a bit lost between systems and software etc its all chuffin swahili to me.

So any help, advice, pointers etc will be greatly received.

please, thank you , Ta!!!

Regards

Andy.

If I have missed anything please ask . Also been a tight fisted Yorkshireman the cheaper the better....lol

Last edited:

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A windows phone with Memory Map works well. I guess Anquet would do the same - basically they run as a PDA so easy to set up.

Mapyx is also supposed to be pretty good:

http://www.mapyx.com/

I've got a LG GM750 that I run MM on - no problem and the GPS is very good.

The advantage of this set up is that the mapping is independent of network coverage. THe other systems rely on connecting to the internet.

Memory Map have also recently (few weeks ago) launched an App to tweek MM to run on an Iphone - its about £20

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thanks for the info guys. I spoke to a guy at vodafone last night who offered me a Nokia x6??? he said it comes with in built sat nav with ovi maps and it will run view ranger.

When I asked him could it be tweaked to push email he said no!!

after a bit of reading I then found that Nokia's can do this by tweaking the Nokia messaging software and that Vodafone have a £5 a month email push package for use with this mobile. Does anyone have any experience of using Nokias to push email as I dont want to bin my blackberry if they dont do it.

Eds.... does the LG run any sat nav software?

I am trying to thin down the amount of gadgets carried.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The HTC windows or chrome based stuff will do all you need.

I have a TYTN one and its great and a friend has the newer chrome one. The only thing with most of these "all in one" solutions is battery life which is generally rubbish. :(

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I didnt realise the 5800 had its own GPS chip this makes it more user friendly I imagine.
I have rang round a few networks today and its still all round objects to me!!!

Vodafone dont do the 5800 but I was told their network is the muts nuts for coverage in the hills can anyone confirm this.

Why cant life be simple............... Henry Ford had a good point me thinks.

Andy

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
You can do all that with an iPhone, which is what I use but it's probably not as good as a Windows Mobile one with MemoryMap. I use an app called QCTviewer that shows MemoryMap files with GPS; it's good for getting you un-lost but does not have the route recording features that my old O2 Orbit (running Windows Mobile 6) had with the Memory Map official client on it.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I'd be careful about using google maps etc. as it'll use all your data, unless you're out of coverage, in which case, you'll have nothing.

I use an HTC touch HD with MM, and apart from the GPS receiver being power hungry, it's really rather good.

Jul 8, 2008
Thringstone
Hiya
like Shewie i have an E71 voice guided sat nav has just been made available for free . I have used it and it is very good! you can also buy a program that does GEOCACHEING!

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I also have the E71 from the company, it's set up to push email for both work and personal email addresses. Can't fault it. Oh, and the satnav works great too.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
Nexus one, recently got one as a upgrade to my Iphone 3Gs, has free turn-by-turn voice sat nav, and numerous mapping apps, one called my tracks to record your journey and upload to google maps later.

ANd removable battery if you need a spare for longer trips

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Forgive me if this is a thread drift but a friend of mine has just got a samsung GT b5320 on contract. It has a GPS chip and he wants to know if there is a way to run GPS mapping on it without internet connection . I have suggested trying to get his Tom tom mapping on it somehow via the memory card - does anyone have any other suggestions? ( Apart from changing his phone).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE