Mklll prismatic - repair or new?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
Hi fellas,
I've got a 1943 Mklll compass that I've damaged. It's going to cost well over a hundred quid to get fixed. The alternative is obviously to buy a new one or go for a Silva. Thing is, this one has been in the family for a while and I've had it for some time so it's kinda sentimental ( I know, I'm getting soft in my old age :oops: ). Anyway, does anyone know of a reputable place where I can get it repaired for a lot less than a ton?

Bear

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Speaking without sentiment, I'd get a new compass ... a ton would buy you a lot of compass! You've then got the prismatic to keep.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i`d get a silva as they are exellent but i`d also get the mk111 fixed as like you say its been in your family and old friends dont let you down so being a sentimental person too i`d look after my old friend to return the favour so as to pass it down to future generations,i think things like that are important ,they carry many stories which also can be passed down and make life interesting ,in my opinion anyway, just like the old axe handle with the groove marks from the woodsmans hands,cheers al :-D

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Do you know who the maker is??

If it is Francis Barker, they are based in Edenbridge Kent and might be worth getting a quote from them.

I have a Francis Barker prismatic compass and IMO if I were in your position I would go for the repair, £100 may seem expensive but when a new one would cost £300 its not too bad.
I have never used a more accurate and well built compass in my life, I teach navigation in a big way and have used many compasses in my time, and if I had to choose one from my ever growing collection then it would be my Francis Barker prismatic. :)

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
Not sure who the MKlll is made by. I've seen the copies and the originals, but I think they are changed from degrees to mills when they are overhauled.
I want mine to stay original. I must admit as well that I am a little distrusting, I don't really want to let it out of my sight (lost in the post and all that) but I realise I don't have a choice if I want it fixed - which I do.

Bear

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
Chopper,
Just had a look on the back of the MKlll compass; it was made by T.G. Co Ltd. Serial No. B 239748.
I've found a place in Brixham called Temeraire. They are willing to supply a diagram of the compass together with any parts required. Looks like I'm going to fix it myself! - I feel much happier now. :-D

Bear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE