1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mining lamps

Discussion in 'Kit Chatter' started by daveO, Jun 18, 2019.

1. daveO

daveO Native

To save hijacking the other thread too much I'll move this to a new one.

I emailed details of my lamp to the manufacturer who replied

"That is a Type No.1 but as you say it doesn’t have the normal label attached. Im curious myself as I have not seen one like this before. It could have been made for a colliery surveyor as it is brass but it shows no sign of any use."

I took the lamp apart and it's got all the gauze and bits that suggest it was made as a working lamp. No sign that it's ever really been used though. I guess it's off to the museum next to see if they know anything about it.

[​IMG]

2. Mesquite

Mesquite Anyone for sailing?

Nice lamp with some interesting quirks, I'll be interested to see what you find out about it.

Word of warning, if it's got some real age to it be careful of the gasket in the ring at the bottom of the picture as it could be asbestos.

3. daveO

daveO Native

I had that thought when I took it apart but it was a bit late by then. :doctor:

4. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

Looks like asbestos to me. Many lamps before the 80s and 90s still had them.

I've just replaced some seals like that with asbestos free ones in my new lamp.

As chance would have it I just watched a recorded edition of "the Repair Shop" which featured a lamp by the same makers.

It was a bit painful watching them burn it with the wick set far too high...

5. daveO

daveO Native

How do you go about removing the old asbestos out of interest?

6. Mesquite

Mesquite Anyone for sailing?

Paint it with a nail varnish then dampen the whole thing and remove carefully, preferably when outdoors.

Janne likes this.
  7. Billy-o

Billy-o Settler

... w/mask and disposable gloves too perhaps ... the people who took the asbestos out of our house about 15 years ago were kitted out for a moon walk. Not sure how much exposure means certain death though. My Dad was a welder and used it all the time, freely, in piles ... but, there again, he isn't with us anymore.

#7 Billy-o, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  8. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

Mine was in fairly good condition so I just took the washers out and bagged them in a zip lock bag.