Mini Trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

miyakoboy

Aug 16, 2004
South Harting
does anyone have one of these, if so are they any good for a nice small stove, im debating if its worth sacrificing space to get a bigger one?

help!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I used one for years in asia.... great for one. If you are going to be cooking for 2-3 people then I'd get something bigger, go for the sweedish army trangia, much better design (pot hanger for example) than the civi model and about the same weight and easier shape to pack....
But for one person you can't go wrong with the mini :)

Ed

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Agreed, Ed. The Mini has an excellent non-stick pan/lid, and packs into a handy and secure bundle, but the windshield is by now means as good as on the larger Trangias. With the full size models they actually work better with a breeze, but the Mini needs a bit of shelter. The only thing I'm not massively impressed with is the pot holder, but it does work and is a decent compromise. I'd happily recommend the Mini for one person.

miyakoboy

Aug 16, 2004
South Harting
picked up a swedish army trangia today and its amazing. I boiled 1 pint of water in about 5 mins! much quicker than the civi version my mate has.

I do have one question tho, once the burner has cooled down, should I refill it with meths for the next time or leave it empty? also how much meths should it put in for each "burning time"

JDWilts

Aug 6, 2004
South West
miyakoboy said:
picked up a swedish army trangia today and its amazing. I boiled 1 pint of water in about 5 mins! much quicker than the civi version my mate has.

I do have one question tho, once the burner has cooled down, should I refill it with meths for the next time or leave it empty? also how much meths should it put in for each "burning time"

Hi, If you put the lid on to extinguish the flame and then close it the heat makes sure the rubber seal closes tight and will not leek meths or tenol (But dont do it up too tight) whilst in transit. I refill my army trangia just before I use it, only fill to two thirds 2/3 full for optimum lighting. It lights first time every time with a firesteel even in the rain.

JD

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
JDWilts said:
Hi, If you put the lid on to extinguish the flame and then close it the heat makes sure the rubber seal closes tight and will not leek meths or tenol (But dont do it up too tight) whilst in transit.JD

Would this not melt the rubber seal :?:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
well yes, i use the lid to snuff ut the flames, and take it off again till the whole thing's cooled. then screw the lid on.

i don't usually carry fuel in the burner, it always seems a short cut to getting the whole of your ruck filled with the stench of meths. i usually keep the burner in a mesh pocket outside my ruck when possible.

cheers, and.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Would this not melt the rubber seal
Hi...

No...
When i have to put out the flame in my Swedish mess kit, i'll just put on the little lid. The flame won't burn the rubber band. :wink: :wink:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
only fill to two thirds 2/3 full for optimum lighting
And add a little water..... ;-) The steam/water vapour (its only a little) from the burner will mix with the soot on the bottom of the billy and make it 10 times easier to clean ;-)

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE