Mini Brew Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

GaryB

Looking to search the forum knowledge base.

I've always thought it would be a good idea to design a mini stove, say about the size of a coffee mug that could be used on the hill for brews. I hate the idea of scarring the landscape with a fire and thought that a wee portable stove would be the business. It would be fuelled with whatever you pick up along the way e.g. pine cones, dried sheeps dung, heather stalks, etc. Has anyone come across anything like this?

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
GaryB

there are a number of threads on this forum about homemade stoves and various links to stove making websites, just do a search.

I have used a soup can with some holes punched in the base and used the cut lid as a grate to allow air to flow through the fuel, its a classic hobo stove. The pot is another slightly larger can with a fencewire bale. It works well and burns all fuel found on a quick forage. Pencil width sticks are the best along with some dry leaves or gorse to get it going.

Hope this is helpfull.

Cheers

JFW

hootchi

Settler
I think iv seen just the thing you want but i dont know where!! Arrh! I think it was in an attlebourgh accesories catalouge. It was like a hexi burner but with a top and a place for the twigs and paper etc. Not on the website now but there are mini kelly kettles that boil 1 pint using twigs etc.
http://www.attacc.com/acatalog/Attleborough_Accessories_Explorer.html
just scroll down to the kelly kettle and there are options about the mini kelly kettle. shame that there are no dimentions, weight etc.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
hootchi said:
Just been for a quick surf and found this site
http://www.nevisport.com/detail.asp?StoreID=12&DepartmentID=166&Depth=2&ProductID=462017
got details about it and working principle etc. says its small enough for a rucksack but no weight or size. they look reasionable to make. I may think about it after reading how the irish travellers made them?!
Here's another link: http://www.kellykettle.com/

... and another ... http://www.woodlandorganics.com/shop/misc/index.htm

No weight though but my 1 pint version weighs in at 550 g or 1 lb 3 1/2 oz.

Edi_M

I'm glad I found this forum!

We sell a similar product, all aluminium & with grill, mini frying pan & pot with a removable handle, 1.5 litre, for £35.25 inclusive P&P. I hadn't considered putting the weight of the unit on the website, though. I'll get mine out of the landy & weigh the packed unit & post it later on. We introduced these at the LRE show in Billing this year, but haven't really started to market them on the main website due to a lack of good pictures.

In the meantime, the url for the product is http://www.cdcuk.net/acatalog/New_for_2004.html, or just go to http://www.cdcuk.net and search for eco-kettle

Ok, the weight is almost exactly 2 lbs (900g). That's including all the supplied accessories, packed into a lightweight mini-sack. These units were specifically designed by John Muirden & manufactured in South Africa.

HAM

Sep 6, 2004
Aberdeen
Just opened a link on another thread, and found my way to someting called the 'pocket cooker'. Price looks right, weight looks right . . . .

http://www.trekdirect.co.uk/main.htm

I've seen this before and liked the look of it - I'd be interested in anyones view who owns one. I currently use my small firebox from Moskoselkatan, which is a little big for just a brew.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
HAM said:
Just opened a link on another thread, and found my way to someting called the 'pocket cooker'. Price looks right, weight looks right . . . .

http://www.trekdirect.co.uk/main.htm

I've seen this before and liked the look of it - I'd be interested in anyones view who owns one. I currently use my small firebox from Moskoselkatan, which is a little big for just a brew.

Yes, I own one. Weighs a ton. Never used it apart from a test burn. Clunky, clumsy, heavy and awkward. You cant get much fuel inside apart from little twigs. If you dont have little twigs, you'll need to spend an age splitting down big ones. It needs almost continous feeding. I dont like it. :wink:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Richie said:

Always been attracted to these myself. They seem ultra efficient, light, fast and compact. Bit on the pricey side though. For me, the big drawback is the lack of versatility. You HAVE to use the cup/pot that comes with it, so no way can you fry an egg for example. If you want to cook anything more than boil in the bag or noodles, you need something else. But, seems perfect for solo day trips or overnighters, where your requirements are just a brew and a bag of noodles.

Not the most "bushcraft" stove in the world.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I purchased a small alcohol gel stove many years ago. This little gem is small enough to fit into an enamelled mug. I usually keep it in my Proteus pack. It is ideal for making quick brews and can be refilled when empty.

Stowed
C1.jpg

Unpacked
C2.jpg

In Use
C3.jpg

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I always used to find that alcohol stoves in tins were unreliable - the tin would get eaten away in no time by rust and then the gel would evaporate away leaving a green gooey residue.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Unlike Martyn, I'm a big fan of the pocket cooker. I agree with Martyn about all the drawbacks but I've used it quite a bit now and feel very comfortable with it. Besides, we have lots of twigs over here. :lol: Also, unlike Martyn, I carry a knife into the woods and don't mind whittling up some shavings. :p :nana:

In terms of weight, I don't carry it on long treks, just day hikes or one time, an overnighter. Nothing like a hot cup of tea after a morning of chasing spring warblers. I could carry a canister stove but they don't really appeal to me. More waste for the landfill. There are many times in the woods around here when the conditions are extremely dry and an open fire is just way too dangerous. The pocket cooker gives me a lot more control and it's a nice way to have a fire without serious danger.

However, I'm always on the lookout for something different. I just built this stove yesterday. Much lighter than the pocket cooker and probably less likely to get starved for oxygen. A little bulky though.

twigburner1b.jpg

I'm really looking forward to trying it out. The instructions for it are here.

This summer I saw a flier on a new stove from MSR. Don't know if it's out yet or not. It's similar to the jetboil but instead of a canister like the jetboil, it uses whitegas. Could be a very handy stove.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have a "pocket cooker" and to be honest i never found it overly heavy and i always quite enjoyed making shavings and such while i brewed up (nice and relaxing) but it is kinda slow and dirty so i have ordered a Crusader cooker.
I will post some pics when i try it out but it looks like it packs neatly with a stainless mug and water bottle and i have been using greenheat for a while and find it fine for boiling water.

rb

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I like the coffee can Hoodoo stove idea. I have been using my 1 pint Kelly Kettle for this sort of task and while I really like it is is very bulky for one 600mL cup of tea. The can stick stove looks like a winner.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
rapidboy said:
I have a "pocket cooker" and to be honest i never found it overly heavy and i always quite enjoyed making shavings and such while i brewed up (nice and relaxing) but it is kinda slow and dirty so i have ordered a Crusader cooker.
I will post some pics when i try it out but it looks like it packs neatly with a stainless mug and water bottle and i have been using greenheat for a while and find it fine for boiling water.

rb

Well, it may not be overly heavy, but it's all subjective. Mine weighs in at 700g, for the same weighjt penalty, you get a trangia burner (200g) and half a litre of fuel (500g). It's also heavier than my zebra billy (550g). I guess it's all subjective, but those are the numbers.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I do agree that there are lighter alternatives than the pocket stove .
I would not take one if i was staying out for a couple of days or if i needed a dependable and fast heat source ,but if im out for the day and just want to brew up then they are a bit of fun.
They have a lot of character and while they are a "real" fire they are much safer ,efficient and more controlable than lighting a fire on the ground.
I really like sitting around a fire relaxing in the evening and have used mine in campsites that don't normally allow open fire's .
The site owners where happy for me light it on a concrete block base to save the grass ,not as good as a nice camp fire but beats sitting round a maglight.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
rapidboy said:
I do agree that there are lighter alternatives than the pocket stove .
I would not take one if i was staying out for a couple of days or if i needed a dependable and fast heat source ,but if im out for the day and just want to brew up then they are a bit of fun.
They have a lot of character and while they are a "real" fire they are much safer ,efficient and more controlable than lighting a fire on the ground.
I really like sitting around a fire relaxing in the evening and have used mine in campsites that don't normally allow open fire's .
The site owners where happy for me light it on a concrete block base to save the grass ,not as good as a nice camp fire but beats sitting round a maglight.

That's essentially the same way I look at it. I agree with Martyn that they are heavy but if you are dayhiking, what they add to the pack is pretty negligible. I've used them in winter as well and put them on a cookie tin.

pocketcooker1c.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE