Milky Rabbit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hi all,

Been out on the farm clearing some rabbits from some paddocks, and found one in particular that when unzipped was very milky.

Now although I eat rabbit, I was intending on handing the few from today over to a friend who keeps ferrets and raptors, but I was unsure about handing this one over.

So clearly the milk was for young, although most of the young rabbits are now out and about so not dependant on mothers milk- but, would this rabbit have been edible?

Cheers
Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Edible yes - wouldn't do you any harm at all, but palatable no, you'd not want to eat another! For ferrets they'd be fine. In the days before they became such pests nobody would hunt them for the table before the cold weather came again to stop them breeding but now they're taken all the time. Half grown coneys are known as "fryers" hereabouts, for reasons obvious from the name, but I wouldn't eat an adult rabbit during the breeding season. Having said all that, it seems that they breed most of the year now as we don't seem to get very cold much recently.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say on this as the subject of rabbits works differently on a regional basis.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE