Mike Ameling dies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Cut and pasted from another forum....

This from frontierfolk.net, an 18th-century re-enactors' board,where the news first emerged:

"Mike was hosting the annual packin this weekend. several of us showed up at his house to find it locked up. Thinking he had taken off with another friend who had come up earlier we got the key and went in. To make a long story short , we found him dead in bed.

I was fortuniate to have known mike for over 30 years and have counted him as not only my friend but my best friend. He was in my wedding, let me whine and cry on his shoulder, even slapped me upside the head to help me come back to reality. Mike was more then my friend he was closer to me then my own brother. There was never a better man to ride the river with. Mike had his own code to live by: love your family and friends and help others who want to help themselfs.

I think God took him from us now because he needed a good blacksmith to help shore up the pearly gates; and he is sure getting one of the best

Al Nielsen"

http://www.schluterbalikfuneralhome.com/index.cfm

Obituaries Michael Ameling
(August 26, 1953 - October 23, 2009)

Michael Ameling, age 56, of Dorchester, Iowa, died on Friday, October 23, 2009, at his home, from natural causes. Private family services will be held at a later date.

I, like many, will miss the grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Though it is unwelcome news, thank you for bringing it Steve.

I'll sure miss his presence here and his great wealth of experience and knowledge.

God Speed Mike, maybe look back and smile at us once in a while!

Ogri the trog

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
I would like to second all Ogri the Trog has said
I will be lighting a fire tonight using the brilliant Flint Striker Mike made for me and have a wee dram in his honour he will indeed be missed
:(

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm a bit lost for words to be honest.
I had a few 'conversations' with Mike, through pms and I found him to be very generous in both thought and deed.

I had been wondering how he was lately, not having seen him post here for a while. :(

My condolences to Friends and Family.

Steve

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My sincerest sympathies to his family and friends.

I'm going to miss Mike :sigh:
He was one of those people I'd have loved to have met, sat and talked the world to rights with round a fire somewhere :)

May Gobhnu welcome you into the like minded company around his smiddy, Mike :D

Toddy

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That is very sad news. I have several items forged by Mike and he always put in that little extra for you, be it information or just that extra finishing touch.

Too young to go was my first thought and my condolences go to his family and loved ones but Mike always struck me as a man that lived his life well and I don't think he'll be forgotten quickly here.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Again my condolences to his family and friends, I too have a steel and will strike a spark for him, I'm sure his spirit will always be around our fires
jon

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands?

Bad news, he was one of the people on here who's posts were always worth reading as he had a huge amount of knowledge and didn't mind sharing it with us, I suppose that's not a bad legacy in its self as many people don't make as good a contribution to others knowledge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE