"Micro" paracord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Would tarred nylon twine do? 1.5 or 2 mm iirc recently bought some from bushcraft store (no affiliation)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
I've been looking for Type 1 paracord for ages, with no luck. I used to get it from 5 star cord, but they seem to have disappeared (or at least gone overseas). I'll be interested to know if you find a good source.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
l we have a ca. 2 mm braided nylon line from all hardware stores called "mason line" about 50 lb (20Kilo) BS used for marking straight lines on building sites and can be white, black or (god help us) dayglo orange or lime green. really inexpensive and very useful. I use it or tarp guy lines amongst other uses. I'm sure similar string must be available in the UK. We also have in sports/fishing tackle stores "bank line, which is PET (Dacron or terylene), plaited line of various breaking strains. PET, unlike nylon, does not stretch, so this is good for whippings holding e.g. rods/sticks together for simple structures. Not sure what that would be named in the UK as "bank lines" are IIRC illegal.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I've been looking for Type 1 paracord for ages, with no luck. I used to get it from 5 star cord, but they seem to have disappeared (or at least gone overseas). I'll be interested to know if you find a good source.
Still available from their ebay.com store and shipping to the uk, however some colours are not available. There is also a another US seller called robbys store, very close in price to 5starcord selling 275Lb cord, although I havent made a purchase from them before.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Parac...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item74716b5c85
and
http://www.shoprobbys.com/275-Tactical-332-Paracord-100ft_p_228.html

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Its called Braid line over here PDA1...

Not sure its the same stuff. The line PDA1 is referring to is much thicker- more like string? braid in the USA is the same as in the UK and unless in a very high breaking strain, is very fine in diameter, good for small jobs, but too fine and harsh on the fingers for much else ;) Braid could work for some purposes though, albeit an expensive option! :)

May 27, 2013
Poland
Climber's shop? Look for lines used to secure gear (no idea how you call them in English) - even cheap 2mm diameter polypropylene line should have about 85kg strength.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
l we have a ca. 2 mm braided nylon line from all hardware stores called "mason line" about 50 lb (20Kilo) BS used for marking straight lines on building sites and can be white, black or (god help us) dayglo orange or lime green. really inexpensive and very useful. I use it or tarp guy lines amongst other uses. I'm sure similar string must be available in the UK. We also have in sports/fishing tackle stores "bank line, which is PET (Dacron or terylene), plaited line of various breaking strains. PET, unlike nylon, does not stretch, so this is good for whippings holding e.g. rods/sticks together for simple structures. Not sure what that would be named in the UK as "bank lines" are IIRC illegal.

Yeah, we get Mason line over here, the better stringlines I've used have been made in the US as a matter of fact.
I have a hellishly pink one at the moment, its great cos nobody steals a pink line on site.

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
thanks guys, got some of the "decorative" 0.5 and 1mm from Ebay for the other half for bracelets etc and will look at getting a spool of probably the Klas Ohlsen for my self!

thanks for the help

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
What about zing-it, it's an arborist throw line made from dyneema. I think it comes I'm 1.75mm to 2.2mm. Pretty strong stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE