Micro axe head without eyelet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Randomcrumb

Nov 21, 2019
Spain
Hi forum, first post here. I've been trawling the web trying to find any info about this axe head/pattern that we found in the woods near our home in eastern Spain. It's tiny and weighs 106g (probably 6g of rust).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185714450@N08/albums/72157711891919143

It's really intriguing as it has no eye. I've hafted a few axes but have no idea how I'd go about this one. Can anyone shed any light on the type of axe, or how I'd put a handle on it?

It has a barb on each of the four corners of its spike so I assume that it protrudes through the handle rather than the other way round. Should I lash it with some kind of twine as well as sink it in a hole? How tight should the hole be?... I'm concerned about it splitting the handle if I go 1mm too far.

I plan on cleaning it up and hafting it for a Christmas present for my girlfriend to use as a tiny carving axe.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reactions: jasonb

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
And here was me thinking `wedge` until I saw the pic.

(But I am no tool expert)

Odd.

Has anyone here seen anything similar?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Extremely interesting.
I do not think this is how they did it, or even if it was hafted to serve as an axe as we know it.
But, I personally would slot it in an oversize hole, then mask it off and pour a strong epoxy to fill up the gap.
Then do some kind of covering, with wet rawhide. Shrinks, sthrenghtens and stabilizes when it dries.
Plus hides the Epoxy.

Will be interesting if you find any marks once you clean it up.

How large is it?

My thinking is - could it be some kind of military implement ? ( Civil war)
Too light for an axe. if fitted the classical way - not strong enough to use to chop with.

Reactions: Randomcrumb

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I wonder if it should be mounted into a wooden handle from the end - more like a broad chisel blade or a bolster. Maybe it's designed for cleaning pelts as opposed to chopping or cutting.

Intriguing though :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not an axe. Best guess is that it's meant to be mounted in a log and used to cut stone/brick/tile in the same way as a slate worker does. If it had been African, then it is similar but still different to an axe

Splitting firewood maybe, like the static fixed blades where the wood is beaten into the blade? I’d like to think it might be an all rounder, good for skinning, scraping, and food prep, attached to a stick tomahawk style, knocked into a log for fire prep. It could do all that, but whether that was its purpose I’ve no idea.

I’ve just realised how small it is. What an intriguing thing.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC

Randomcrumb

Nov 21, 2019
Spain
Thanks for all of the replies.

Robson valley - a slick seems the most probable here looking at the shape of the tool and the vernacular building style - pine beams in the round spanning 3-4 metre distances between stone walls. The beams would have needed some dressing, and are always stripped of bark.

There is no slate around here - the geology is limestone and clay - and although the limestone is soft, I think the tool is too thin to last any amount of time as a stone shaping utensil.

I still intend to haft it and an oversize hole filled with Epoxy seems the best option. I've never used rawhide though, thanks Janne for the suggestion! It'll give me chance to experiment a bit.

It did not lie buried. The area was very stony so no chance for clues there.

The size is just 97mm long, 67mm across the blade, and at it's 9mm at it's fattest. (In the photo it looks like it's larger because of the camera lens size).

I'm going to get the wire brush on it today and see if I can reveal any marks.
04319d0ed80561910ab5b4ac7e4a3cd0.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
From the size, I imagine it could have been an battle axe.
I have now spent some time on the ‘net, but found nothing.

Take some pictures before you haft it and show in the local museum. And post in an axe nerd forum on the Internet.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I might be totally wrong, but it looks like the axe part from a battle weapon. Fixed to a longer pole, by being attached with a spear tip with two longer strips running down the side on the pole.

( just my imagination galloping away, so sorry!)

Looks cruder than the pictures on the Internet, but a simple soldiers weapon would not be preserved, only nice, elaborate examples usually are.

Thickness of only 9mm is well suited to penetrate thin sheet steel. The rear spike too.

Randomcrumb

Nov 21, 2019
Spain
Perhaps it's a rustic cork harvesting axe? It wouldn't be subject to the rigours of an ordinary axe.
Nice suggestion but there are no cork oaks in my area. There are plenty of caña or common cane an known in English - fat garden canes used in the traditional construction style. Similar to lath and plaster, the caña replace the lath and clay is replaces the plaster. Often caña are split to give a bit more flexibility (and material efficiency), maybe the tool could have been used to harvest and split caña? It is certainly lighter work than wood.

Most of the buildings in this valley we're built around 250 years ago, maybe an age range could shed a bit more light.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Clean it up gently ( vinegar soaks, brushing) then you will be able to see the structure. If handmade or made using help of machines.

There is a possibility an old Spanish local/ neighbour could tell you what it was. Traditional designs of tools were used until recently until more modern once emerged.

My grandmother told me the use of 4 different hand sickles I found hidden / left in the foundation of her family home.
The old people can still remember these things.

Reactions: Randomcrumb

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ok, a wild shot

Someone in the civil war wanted a hatchet in a terrible hurry; they had smithing skills but no idea how to forge the eye.

So they made something like the African axes?

But ask a museum if they know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE