MFH M81 austrian knife V the M81 glock version

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Got one for a bit of interest value, seems tough enough and quite useable. I meant to try the saw but forgot, but did a bit of camp work and it was ok. sheath is very well designed.

heinnie have been out of stock for a long time with the sawback glock version.

has anyone got both and how do they compare?

Is the glock version worth double the price of the MFH?

i think there is a bit of difference in the pommel on each version.....

Just interested

KbjOgsIl.jpg

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
That isn't a bayonet.

Lostplanet isn't new here and isn't asking for general advice or people's thoughts about how the pictured knife looks or how they think it will perform. The request for feedback is directed at people who have actually owned one or used one.

So, unless you have used one or both knives being asked about and can post from experience, please don't post.

Thank you.

Chris

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" Is the glock version worth double the price of the MFH? "

Since reading your post, lostplanet, I've been digging around in various Boxes and Bergans looking for the Glock version of that knife that I still have, but it's hiding at the moment..:D

Looking at your posted photograph I cannot see any glaring difference between that version and the Glock. I recall the Glock has a small flush fitting 'cap' in the butt, which I believe covers the end of the tang, which is threaded and secured by a nut. I do know the word Glock is imprinted at the base of the blade, but apart from that the knife and sheath look identical. Whether the steel is of the same quality or hardened correctly remains unknown.

Before I retired I was involved in testing that particular Glock knife, together with knives from a number of other manufacturers for a specific purpose. Overall,the Glock performed well enough, as a knife, and the positive 'click'and secure hold in the sheath was well regarded, as was the handle when gripped with gloved hands, but the knife was not ideal for use in the role for which we needed it.

The eventual decision went to a Hopkinson knife which fulfilled the role better, although to suit most of us, much binding of the rather flat handle scales with Squash racket grippy tape was the popular upgrade..:D

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The cap covers a hole that attaches the knife onto an attachment at the the business end of the Steyr rifle/ carbine.
The blade steel is soft-ish to be bendable, so does not break easily. If bent, it can be straightened.

I hope my post is not removed this time?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I have to agree with Janne the Feldmesser 78 = bayonet, Feldmesser 81 =Survival Knife as it has the addition of the sawback and thats how Glock market them.

The mfh one is made in China and doesn't have the fitting in the pommel so it cant be used on a rifle

Otherwise Janne's assessment is pretty much spot on, one of the other reasons it soft is its easy to sharpen on whatever you have , rocks etc not unlike the Jet Pilots Knife

My mates Glock one I played with was well beaten by the mora I had on me in every way so much so he sold it almost as soon as he got home and bought 2 moras with the money he made back on it

I would say the MFH one is over priced

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I found out why the MFH version is cheap

The handle literally fell off lol

All its done is slice bacon grill.

thnaks for replies, i forgot this thread tbh, will have a catch up

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Is the steel ok on it?
Of yes, then you can use the blade and make a new handle. Maybe some regrinding of the blade to mske it more useful?

So not a complete waste of £, after all!

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
My guess is that it can get mended in a few minutes. The hole in the shaft looks like it matches the hole in the tang and its just to put something sturdy enough thrue it. A bit of glue to secure it might be a good ide, then sells it as fast as possibly. :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Not easy to fix a softish plastic handle on a hard metal tang that is smooth.

The Chinese should take apart a plastic handled Mora and check what they do to fix the plastic handle to the tang.

Me, I would just make a new, cool handle. Stacked leather maybe? That big hole is made to push a brass tube through, and fic the leather bits firmly!

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
I wouldn't waste any time on it as there is little chance the blade is worth it. If there is some need to still test the blade just wrap it in duct tape, try the knife a few times and then chuck it in the trash.

Anor

Aug 8, 2019
Norway
I read about how to permanently fix the MFH Austrian fieldknife. Use epoxy, put it on the grip-metal and pre-sanded handshield, put the knife together, get it fixed by hammering it onto it's knob, wait some hours, it will most likely never fall apart again.

About the quality of the metal: The original austrian army fieldknife does not use any highquality-grade steel, it is likely a kind of relatively soft spring-steel prone to rust, low cost for mass production.

The MFH-steel should be quite decent too, a relatively soft spring-steel prone to rust, pretty low cost for mass production too. :)

So it might be a cheap but still viable option if one is on a budget. Have seen them as cheap as 16€, against 38€ for the Glock.

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I wouldnt sell a dodgy unsafe tool to anybody. I have got a glock version and there are some subtle quality improvements. I have some epoxy so eventually i will repair it and give it a try out. Its only curiousity that made me purchase these knives for testing purposes.

Anor

Aug 8, 2019
Norway
Have the Glock too, considered the MFH for testing, but you already showed the results here. I expect some pretty much needed quality improvement on the MFH too, but who knows!? Thanks

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
When the Glock first came out, I bought one, then another with the sawback spine.
The steel was soft in both, and the saw teeth were useful enough on soft wood only.
If the steel had been at least 55 HRC hardness, I might have kept them.
I gave them away.

The folding spade jobbie was a purchase at the same time and that has a saw in the handle that is certainly great for the job!
THAT I will keep... :)

Reactions: EffyGent

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Every thing I bought from MFH or Miltec was factory new rubbish, not worth a trousers button.
I don't really understand why they don't get bigger problems with the owners of the original patterns, but Victorinox for example cancels the contracts with resellers if they try to sell such products too.

I don't own this Glock knife, in my opinion it's to long for every civil use I can imagine.

But I am pretty sure that I would always buy the original, new or used, and never such a Chinese copy from MFH or Miltec.

I bought a few time such rubbish, and I see it often in German towns, broken rucksacks or whatever.

Glock delivers directly to the Austrian Army. If you need such a knife it is of course worth the money, because it is original military equipment made in Europe regarding NATO specifications.

The MFH knife is just a cheap copy of a well known pattern, more or less like a falsed Rolex in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The Glock is made to exact specs. It is softer than many civilian knifes for a reason, it is allowed to bend. A bent knife /edge can be fixed. A broken blade or chipped edge can not.
To develop mil equipment takes time and a lot of money.

The fakers/copycats just stamp them out from any cheap available metal alloy.
Without thinking, as can be seen on the tang.
As it is virtually useless as a knife, then the seemingly low cost is quite astronomical in reality.

Reactions: EffyGent

EffyGent

Sep 6, 2019
Vorarlberg, Austria
I have a Glock knife, the field knife rather than the survival model. The extra is well worth it, if this is the sort of quality the cheaper version offers. The Glock ones are almost indestructible!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE