'Meal Deal' - Bivvy Bags etc.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Okay.

Been thinking about my postings lately. Obviously I fall into the all the gear and no idea category (!) as I seem to always be chatting about the damn stuff. I also have looked back through my postings and seen that I have posted a disproportionate amount about kit I buy from Endicotts. I think this might start to look suspicious. So if a Mod or Tony wish to shake a finger at me or stop this thread then I am fine with this. But just to say that I have no connection with Endicott's except as a happy customer, I do not know any of the staff outside of the shop and I have derived NO special discounts as a result of my postings - I get discounts like any other regular customer. Its just one of the shops I regularly buy from and its local to me. That's it. IN reality I buy too much kit from everywhere. But its....all so shiny......I'm like Gollum and that damn ring... :(

However I want to share the following with you.

I have been aware that some excess/old stock of Arktis "Goretex" Double Hoop bivvy bags have come on to the market (a previous posting by someone). Not alot of them but they have been selling from a Surplus Store (Marcus Army?) in Bristol and now Endicotts in Exeter. I believe that now the majority of this stock has now gone from the source they were getting them from. So I expect this is all a bit of a one off.

Someone mentioned this 'Meal Deal' on a thread last week in relation to a conversation they had with Kevin. So I dropped by to check it out and I got to fondle a sample bag. I have no experience of Arktis kit but I was blown away by the quality of this bag. It reminded me of a double-hooped goretex bivvy bag I bought (via Snow and Rock) some years ago by the name of Mountain Range (now no more). I paid around £180-200 for it I think. I might have paid even more :eek:. It was very nice kit. But this Arktis is a dead ringer in materials and design. Except for the DPM pattern, some different D rings I would have thought it was the same make of Bivvy. When Kevin told me that he was going to package it with a deal all for £59 I was impressed and slightly sceptical :eek:

Anyway I popped in today and was the first to grab a 'meal deal' that consists of a new Arktis Bivvy Bag, new Arktis Stowaway Shirt, Grade 1 58 Pattern Poncho and an new Arktis PLCE side pouch with two straps to make it a backpack. I really was not buying it for the other bits to be honest but I have already worn the stowaway shirt down the beach today to keep the wind off and it packs down soooo small. I was suprisingly impressed by the Arktis PLCE side pouch. It is much better spec'd than my bergen one (Berghaus Vulcan) and I like the draw-cord and snaplock lid rather than the annoying zip ones I have. I might have to buy another PLCE side-pocked to balance my pack up! I am sure the 58 Poncho will come in useful and this one is in much better condition that my other(s). Will come in useful on Dartmoor next week.

Anyway - Kevin has no more that a couple of dozen kits to sell so they won't last long. They are on his site now....I'll go and find the link now.

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=126&products_id=1212

Wherever you get this kit from (whilst stock is still around) I recommend that if you are in the market for a new bag then this is quite alot of bag for your money.

I'll be sleeping in mine tonight :)

LBL

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
You could get me in to SOOOO MUCH TROUBLE !! I want one of these 'kits' , struggle is justifying it at the moment !?!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Littlebiglane........good kit is good kit and everyone likes a bargain.........and very few are close enough to Endicotts to check things out for themselves........so really, you're providing a public service :D

cheers,
Toddy

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Are you sure its goretex? I noticed endicotts call it MVP?? so i had a look at the arktis website.

http://www.arktisltd.co.uk/bivouac/sleepingbags.htm

they describe their hooped bivvy as being 'semi breathable' whatever that means?

still seems like a fair deal, and arktis kit is popular with soldiers

Moisture Vapour Permeable (MVP) is a generic name for a product similar Goretex - which is a brandname and trademarked.

Someone may correct me if I am wrong but I think old-style Goretex (like from 5 years ago) might have been called breathable (and it is sort of). It allows, to a degree - depending on exertion - moisture to pass out through the membrane (hence MVP). Its still around today on jackets and is used alot. But its not like the gas-exchange stuff that allows ultra modern and expensive bivvies to be zipped up totally and not suffocate the occupants. So I would class MVP and normal gore-tex as much the same kind of thing but I am sure it draws the distinction in bivvies by calling things breathable (no die if you zip up totally) and semi-breathable (die! die!).

Am I wrong - or am I in the right ball-park here?

When I had my old double-hooped goretex bivvy I always slept with the zip slightly ajar under the storm flap and only zipped it up fully for a short amount of time. Both for air and to moderate any small amount of condensation which would build up with me ummmm...exerting myself in the bivvy....

Anyway - I would not recommend over-exerting yourself inside one of these hooped bivies anyway :nono: - for lots of reasons! ;)

*sound of wife clipping me around the ear*

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Am I wrong - or am I in the right ball-park here?

I kinda know what you mean. the goretex used in bivvybags, especially those that zip up entirely, has to be extremely breathable and has to be kept very clean in order to function.

bivvy bags that close with a drawstring or velcro flap, can be made with different fabrics, be they goretex variants or different materials entirely, which are popular with forces because they can cope with a little more dirt contamination.

tho this arktis one does seem to close entirely. Is there a mesh vent anywhere in it? maybe hidden by a storm flap?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I kinda know what you mean. the goretex used in bivvybags, especially those that zip up entirely, has to be extremely breathable and has to be kept very clean in order to function.

bivvy bags that close with a drawstring or velcro flap, can be made with different fabrics, be they goretex variants or different materials entirely, which are popular with forces because they can cope with a little more dirt contamination.

tho this arktis one does seem to close entirely. Is there a mesh vent anywhere in it? maybe hidden by a storm flap?

There is a specific type of goretex that is gas permeable (invented a couple of years ago) and used almost exclusively for high end bivvies and single skin tents - I think it is called Xchange or Xchange Lite. All other goretexes and MVPs are just water-vapour permeable. The ability of the later (MVP) is indeed compromised by dirt (the wetting out of the fabris stops vapour transmission) - but even a factory-clean goretex made of this material will not transmit C02 from inside to outside a bivy. Its not designed to.

I'll check tommorrow but if it is anything like (which it is) my Mountain Range gore-tex double hoop then this will have no vents. But you can vent-it by opening the zip at the apex of the hoop and behind the storm flap.

LBL

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Marcruss Army Stores of Bristol had a whole stack of the Arktis side pouches on there shelves back in July for about £12 each.
I must confess I bought one of their hooped bivvies last week at £49.50 plus £15 p&p to Ireland. Just 3 days from order to delivery.
First impressions of the bag is that it's absolutely bombproof, very well made with top grade materials and quality shock-corded aluminium poles.
It weighs about 1.8kg without pegs. The base is PVC coated which accounts for it's description as semi-breathable.
No guy lines or pegs included but at this price, so what?
I've seen Endicotts description and it just about sums up the bag. Their "Meal Deal" is truly a once in a life time offer.
Happy trails...torc.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
i was umming and ahhing about it, but needed a new bivvy bag anyway, and the camouflage kinda suits my kinda stealth camping.

and ive heard good stuff about arktis kit, so i nabbed one

:naughty:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Being the instigator of this thread I am keen to know the thoughts of those who managed to get this deal (once they have got the kit) about what they got, the time it took to get it and its condition and quality. Its just that if I recommend something I want to feel that I have given an accurate and worthwhile recommendation and that my age-addled brain still has good judgement!

LBL

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'll let you know. Hopefully mine will be here tomorrow and I plan to use it at the weekend.

It took me a while to get through on the phone - tried from about 0855 to 0930 before Kev answered with "meal deal hotline!" :D

All six deals with an XL smock had gone by then, so I had to get an L, but I plan to move the smock on anyway (have 2 Montane featherlites). My mate was told he had the very last one at 4.30, when he buckled under the pressure and dialed. He'll probably use it at the weekend too.

Cheers for the tip - looks great for the money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE