May day bank holiday dates error

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just a heads up if you are booking a break for the may bank holiday.
Thousands of diaries and calendars have the wrong date for may bank hols. It is actually Friday the 8th of may not Monday the 4th. Apparently our wonderful government have changed it in their infinite wisdom after all calendars and diaries were printed for some reason be known only to them. (I'm sure it's an excellent reason to mess up something like this). Anyway as the new year looms and plans are being made for various adventures in thought I'd let you all know in case anyone gets caught out.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ah. Well I guess that's a good enough reason. But it's still annoying for all the calendar and diary companies. And some will get caught out.
My neighbour told me so I didn't get the full gen I checked my calendar and she was right about the dates so I thought I'd just warn people.

Reactions: Winnet
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Add also the 12th December - the date that changed
3 December should also be celebrated.
Not many people know that the Cold War, possibly the largest threat to us humans, ended that day.

Also, add the 12th of December. The date that changed our future for either better or worse depending on your thoughts. Whichever - there is no doubt it will be a date to remember.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Well, the people’s voice was heard. Nothing to celebrate, that should be the standard?

I think the calendars are ordered and printed around a year ahead.

Or work calendars and appointment books we get delivered ( from US, so definitely printed somewhere in Asia) in the first week of August.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It totally screwed up the plans for a lot of people's weddings over the normal bank holiday weekend as guests that would have come now have to be at work. Of the couple I know about they couldn't get a refund from the venue so are having to go ahead with fewer guests and the same cost :(

If we still think it's necessary to celebrate an event 75 years ago perhaps we should have had an extra bank holiday!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That totaly sucks. I hope they have a good wedding anyway.
Yes, if it's such an important date to remember VE day why can't we have the extra day?
Typical of this penny pinching government. Don't give a monkey's how much they mess up people's lives.:soapbox:.
Rant over! Steer away from the political WG old girl!:locktopic:

Reactions: Winnet

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In 2012 it was estimated one Bank Holiday costs Britain. 1.9 £ Billion no doubt a bit over 2£ Billion today.
We have some of the British Bank Holidays here too.
Sucks.
The last one was a one off, on a Thursday , for a Referendum ( Yes or No to build a large Cruise ship dock and terminal.
It was ordered to be cancelled by the Higher Powers, but to mess with that decision our illustrious Government decided to keep it.

I and many more businesses thought - $#ew you - and worked, after consulting ( secret vote) the staff. All wanted to work.

Reactions: Crowe

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Extra bank holidays come out of statutory holiday allowance. In our company extra BHs mean one less holiday we can choose the date of. Implications of that are less than 3 whole weeks holiday on days we want not others seem fit to choose for us.

Imho there should not be any bank holidays imposed on people as part of the statutory holiday allowance I would get 8 days back for school holidays and family holidays.

What's special about the 12th December? Other than my birthday obviously:)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Russian federation ratified agreement on dissolution of USSR on the 12th December but actually the official dissolution was 26th December.

I can't find much else of significance about The 12th December. You've got me curious now.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Russian federation ratified agreement on dissolution of USSR on the 12th December but actually the official dissolution was 26th December.

I can't find much else of significance about The 12th December. You've got me curious now.

I assume you are joking but just in case you're not the country voted Borris back in to finally get the in/out indecision over with (whatever one's views, at least it will now be sorted). That has, without doubt, changed the future of the UK.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Oh that recently. I assumed several years back since most commemorations don't get talked about until a number of those involved are no longer around forcing a greater need for remembrance.

Tbh I really wasn't that interested last December 12th. It shows by how I'd forgotten about it already. :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
If you refer to the 12 December I mentioned, we were meant to have a referendum about Yes or No for building a new, huge cruise ship docks/ port, and expanded commercial port facilities.

Referendum got postponed because it was decided hastily, voting procedure ‘unconventional ‘ and so on.
I think UK stopped it.
To mess with us, the Government decided to still keep the one-off Bank Holiday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE