Max / Min thermometer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've been on the lookout for a cheap max / min thermometer for a while - something to see just how cold it did get in the night when out camping!

Lidl are selling a small, cheap digital one for £2.99. I've not tried it properly yet, but it does have a max / min facility, even though it's not mentioned in the listing. It takes one AA (included).

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090120.p.Digital_Thermometer.ar5

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Excellent! - cheers mate!

been looking for one myself funnily enough and they also have fuel cans for a fiver! :D - I know where I will be popping tomorrow now ;)

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
I got one of these a while ago and yes they're pretty good.
They have 2 sensors, one built into the main unit and a separate one on a line (IIRC about 8- 10 ft of wire),for pushing through a window etc.
It also has an ice warning alarm (bloody annoying beepy thing), which can thankfully be turned off. Best of all tho is that it weighs very little indeed and can be packed away in a corner of a packs pocket.
All in all not a bad idea.

BTW I just checked the min recorded temp on my bigger ascot (aldi) weather station and was surprised to find that during the holidays it recorded a lowest temp of . . .-15c eek.

Kev

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I have always found Lidl's electronics to be rubbish, the LCD screens never seemed to last very long. I saw some glass max/min thermometers in the gardening section of my local Homebase recently, they should be available in UK stores also.
Happy trails...torc.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I got one very similar to this for my trip to finland a while back...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/West-Dial-M...=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1232490555&sr=8-36

I like that there is nothing to break and no batteries to die in the cold...

3213988616_691e3cd78c.jpg

great kit... and dead cheap!

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
i saw those advertised on the lidl website and went in to get some yesterday afternoon, but alas they appeared to be all gone, i didnt think it would have been that popular but meh!, there is a weather station in next monday i think, i fancy for on the side of the hoose.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
I got one very similar to this for my trip to finland a while back...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/West-Dial-M...=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1232490555&sr=8-36

I like that there is nothing to break and no batteries to die in the cold...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Squidders,

I was going to Lidl (may still get one yet) but your pic looks just as useful. It doesn't say on Amazon how big the thermometer is (thinking about pack size again) do you know an approx width of yours?

Thanks

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I left mine at the cabin in finland... it was about 4 inches long and weighed next to nothing... not the most compact given that you can get tiny ones but that wasn't a concern of mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE