Manhole Cover

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
So I heard that round man hole covers ground to a shallow concave are the goto cookware for cooking group meals over an open fire!

This I have heard but never seen! I quite fancy the idea, anyone seen this on any trips around the world? Any suggestions how to get the project started?

Also would it be safe to cook on a manhole cover? Any nasties in the metal?

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I have never seen or heard of it and wouldn't want to eat off something that has had just about every kind of crap literally on and through it, if you want that type of shape look up Cadac Skottle Braai.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In the gold fields of Ballarat, Victoria, I have seen a 36" sheet steel wok over a fire pit.
If it hadn't been for the handles, I would not have known what it was for.
The ends of an oil drum have greater culinary appeal than any sewer capping.

Four real cooking fires. Three smaller woks and a grill. Woks have the versatility and the economy.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
So I heard that round man hole covers ground to a shallow concave are the goto cookware for cooking group meals over an open fire!

This I have heard but never seen! I quite fancy the idea, anyone seen this on any trips around the world? Any suggestions how to get the project started?

In other news the word 'gullible' isnt in the dictionary

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I suspect this is a method of opportunity. ie manhole covers are more easily/cheaply obtainable than anything else.

First thought giant paella pans. Can get some pretty big diameters. :)
Paellera_gigante.jpg

Other than that, if it's a permanent outdoor cooking arrangement then thick mild steel plate, and use it like a plancha/griddle

Pic from http://www.paellaworld.co.uk/products_list.php?category_id=2

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Liking the idea, and there wouldn’t be a problem with the iron, it’ll be a basic ductile steel. But grinding to concave? That’s a project for sure. I can’t really see how you’d do that, even a big disc grinder isn’t designed to give any sort of finish to the metal. Are you meaning it’s usage to be a griddle iron, or more of a pan?

Struggling to get the “why” of this when there are easier options. It sounds very hobo cooking, and possibly a busted leg for the poor guy who didn’t get fed, but fell down a manhole. :D

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Is it the 1st of Apri? Grinding a manhole cover?
:)

Check out ’Muurikka ’ and have a peek on their griddle pans!
I want one of those, a large one!

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I have never seen or heard of it and wouldn't want to eat off something that has had just about every kind of crap literally on and through it, if you want that type of shape look up Cadac Skottle Braai.

The Skottel Braai looks very much like a paëlla pan.

A manhole cover would be made of cast iron, be very thick and heavy, and you'd need to do a lot of grinding to get rid of the moulded lettering and texturing. And there would also be a hole in the centre, where you'd put a hook to lift the cover...

Much better to get yourself a bit of thick mild steel or cast iron sheet, like the squares that are put as temporary covers when the road or pavement is being dug up, and then beat that to a gently dished shape.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Surely using a manhole cover as a cooking dish would give you serious problems, how would you hang it over the fire with the weight of it, you would need a big fire to make sure it got good and hot, and cleaning it, these manhole covers are not smooth metal things, and of course carrying it.more trouble than what it,s worth.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
wow that was a lot of posts quickly

I heard this from Swedish hunters, they seen the idea in South Africa and decided it was a good idea, they use this to cook group meals at lunch time on Swedish hunts where the hunt lunch is in a fixed location, they cook pyittipanna? Maybe someone can confirm that meal, unsure!

It’s maybe specific to this group of hunters? I take it from the responses that it’s not a thing anyone has seen around the world!

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
The Skottel Braai looks very much like a paëlla pan.

A manhole cover would be made of cast iron, be very thick and heavy, and you'd need to do a lot of grinding to get rid of the moulded lettering and texturing. And there would also be a hole in the centre, where you'd put a hook to lift the cover...

Much better to get yourself a bit of thick mild steel or cast iron sheet, like the squares that are put as temporary covers when the road or pavement is being dug up, and then beat that to a gently dished shape.

If you can beat a road plate into a dish, i'd be very impressed

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

There are manhole covers and there are manhole covers, some of the cast iron ones weigh about 25 kilos!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
wow that was a lot of posts quickly

I heard this from Swedish hunters, they seen the idea in South Africa and decided it was a good idea, they use this to cook group meals at lunch time on Swedish hunts where the hunt lunch is in a fixed location, they cook pyittipanna? Maybe someone can confirm that meal, unsure!

It’s maybe specific to this group of hunters? I take it from the responses that it’s not a thing anyone has seen around the world!

It's just a hash, literally just a hash of whatever you have to chuck in, I do a corned beef hash with potatoes and mixed veg, love it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE