Making Kazoos- good intro to knife work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
After a suggestion from another member, I thought I would put up a tutorial on making wooden Kazoos.

kzb-1.jpg

I have made these with many different groups from nursery children to scouts, and find them a great way of introducing basic knife work. And of course they have an easily made object that does something (make a noise) to show for their work. I can’t remember where I got the idea from; it could well have been someone on this site (so apologies for pinching your idea if I did)

You can have them in various stages of readiness depending on group size and ability, but I’ll show the main steps and you can adapt as you see fit.

The first stage is to select your wood. I have a willow coppice which I use, or some birch growing out the back. The best stuff I have found is around 2cm (1”) in diameter. Cut into lengths of 15-18cm (6-7”).

kz1-1.jpg

Smooth off any knots in the stick

kz2-1.jpg

Next split the piece straight down the middle. And don’t lose the bits.
kz3-1.jpg

kz4-1.jpg

The pieces should fit snugly together, but for our purposes we need to shave the middle of the inside a little to allow air to pass straight through and allow space for vibration. So carefully shave down the interior near the middle.

kz5-1.jpg

You can see if you have done enough by putting the pieces back together (you need to shave some wood off each side), and you can remove the bark for a mouthpiece at this point.

kz6-1.jpg

kz7.jpg

Next you need something to vibrate:rolleyes:, I’ve found that Posties elastic bands work great. I have yet to experiment with natural items but if you come up with something better let me know.
Next hold both pieces together and check it does actually make a noise, blowing from either side will probably give a different tone. If needs be, at this stage you can shave a bit more off the inside of the stick.

kz8.jpg

Lastly, put more bands round either end, or if you have time you can whip them with twine, but the bands works fine.

kz9.jpg

Now you’re set to have your own kazoo orchestra.

kza.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Excellent Cara - a very clear tutorial!

Just the job and something I will definitely have a go at in the future for groups

Thank you!
love72.gif

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
superb, another excuse to wander the streets picking up interesting bits of rubbish "i'm looking for elastic bands to make me a wooden kazoo" something else for the neigbours talk about!

stuart

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
haha i was listening last week to eric clapton, san-Fransisco bay and thought to my self, i wonder if you can make a kazoo in the woods

and yes, you can

thanks for sharing this

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant :D Simple and interesting and the kids will love it. Thank you for posting :)
That one goes into the file of fun stuff to make with kids when practicing knife skills :cool:
I've made the one with the big rough grass leaf before, but it's hard for the kids to keep that stretched taut enough to work well. The rubber band is just right.

It occurs to me that there could be an entire thread devoted just to the potential uses of the posties red rubber bands; it seems they drop them the entire length and breadth of the country.
I think I can make a triangular woodland 'harp' and have it strung using the bands too.
Any other suggestions ? and we'll start the other thread :)

cheers,
M

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I have one of these from Silvergirl from the Gift it on thread, i love it, but it seems to make my son cry when i play with it lol. oh well i am having fun with it lol

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great Post, thanks.
Just been making a noise with one of these. There great fun for the kids.
When I show them the trick with the grass between the thumbs they always stuggle, so these are a great idea.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
now there's something for me to do on saturday, waiting for the stew to cook... my daughter will be fascinated with that!

and, tbh... its not like i get much piece and quiet kazoo, or no kazoo :rolleyes:

:aargh4:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I remember making them as a kid with a comb and a piece of tissue paper and annoying the hell out of my dad !

these wooden ones seem like they will last a long time , great thread thanks for the tutorial .

Wonder how many people have read this thread and are still wondering what a Kazoo is ?

Craig.........

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just had a quick overnighter in my local woods with Greg...I made two of these one note wonders - Greg threatened me with physical injury...
Came home and showed them to my wife - she threatened me with physical injury....
Wait for the Kazoo solos at the Moot...I am going for the record of threats of physical injury to a bushcrafter....

Lepus

Jan 14, 2011
South Devon
You can try video tape or casette tape, easy to pick up in charity shops for pennies and even comes in it's own dispensing reel. Used to make something similar for squeeking foxes using a wooden clothes peg and casette tape HTH :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE