making a broadhead from a teaspoon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Whilst the wildlife and countryside act made it against uk law (policy) in the late 1950's there could come a time when you may need to shoot and kill an animal with a bow or crossbow,under which circumstance your doing so would be very good mitigating circumstance in the highly unlikely event of the cps sending your file to the courts.
A lot of folk dont understand hunting with a bow or xbow and how it kills an animal,firstly a field point is just a pointed end to your arrow is highly unlikely to kill your intended meal and will only cause a lot of suffering to the beast,this is not good for the meat or your chances of finding it either,the animal will make off for safety at speed and will leave little blood trail for you to follow as the shaft is plugging the wound.What is needed is a broadhead,this is in effectively a flying knife blade,it causes a lot of hemorrhaging and the animal will be down in 20 or so yards,bleeding profusely it will leave a good blood trail to follow,then if not dead the animal can be quickly killed with a swift slice to its carroted artery.
In a **** scenario the chances are you wont have a set of broadheads ready for use,so here is an easy way to make some very effective broadheads from just a teaspoon.

Firstly grab a teaspoon when the wife isnt looking:

DSC03687.jpg

then flatten it with a hammer:

DSC03690-1.jpg

DSC03691-1.jpg

next mark the shape out ready for cutting:

DSC03692-1.jpg

then cut with tin snips,cutting disk or hacksaw:

DSC03693.jpg

now you have a broadhead blank cut to shape:

DSC03697.jpg

Now cut the gandle off leaving enough to use for mounting on your arrow:

DSC03698.jpg

Next round the tang and sharpen the cutting edges of your broadhead:

DSC03699.jpg

and there you have it one very sharp and very effective broadhead:

DSC03700.jpg

It would be every bit as effective as any of my vast collection:

DSC03685.jpg

and these Atlatl heads made from bison bone and flint:

DSC03686.jpg

It might be a good idea to make a half dozen and keep in your survival kit of grab bag.

thanks for looking.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm surprised this post has had no replies. That's ingenious, and a nice simple demonstration. Good work :cool:

I'm a fan of the bone atlatl head too.

I suppose you could make a fishing spear in the same sort of way.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Record 75 vice? Looks like it from the picture.

Sorry for the part derail but I seem to have ended up as a bit of a vice nut.
Got Records, a Woden, Ajax, Fortis and a few others.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice work and great idea. And thanks too for the explanation of the kill. Used to shoot when I was a kid, dad taught me in the arly 50s, but the arthritic hands and wrists make it likely a no-no now, can't even hold an air rifle, tried in Sept ... have to tag along with someone who can :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE