Lynx Can..dle Lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

I've been cutting up Lynx deodorant cans with a dremmel again :rolleyes: this time having a go at making an Uco type knock off tea light candle lantern.

DSC03517Small.jpg
dsc03519Small.jpg

Finally work out a method of cutting glass bottles well enough to make a glass globe. Although , not being tempered , I'm unsure as to how it will hold up over time. So far it's been OK and doesn't get all that hot as the heat seems to be getting out the top quickly enough.

How I cut the glass was to hold a suitable jar on the edge of a fine grinding wheel , made sure I had a pair of safety glasses on :cool:, and slowly turn around a marked out line using very little pressure until the two halves separate. The rough edge can be cleaned of sharp edges with a bit of of abrasive paper. ( Tescos Finest salad dressing jars seem to be the right size)

DSC03512Small.jpg

The bottom section is made doubled walled very like an alcohol stove build but with a series of offset holes on the outside and inside which act as a baffle stopping gusts from having a direct effect upon the flame.

DSC03511Small.jpg

The top is just a plain bottom part of a can with holes drilled in and it also carries the two attachment point for the wire handle.
The wire handle is made from an old bike brake cable secured using two electrical connectors.

DSC03513Small.jpg

The two sections are held together under tension by three riveted on expansion springs. I found that 4 mm medium pop rivets are just the right size for supporting the globe , top and bottom , and for keeping the candle securely centered too.

DSC03510Small.jpg

After reading a post on another forum on building an LED lampDIY LED Lantern I bought one of those LED units too, great for adding an extra option to your candle lantern.
Really cheap on E- BAY ,waterproof and ideal for DIY projects also fits the Uco mini really well

DSC03521Small.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Pete.

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
Fantastic Idea Chap , beautifully crafted too , seem to have an endless supply of lynx cans though :) ? cant help looking at pictures and imagining you must smell nice and be fighting women off with sticks too :lmao:

pwb

seem to have an endless supply of lynx cans though :) ? cant help looking at pictures and imagining you must smell nice and be fighting women off with sticks too :lmao:

More a case of like this unfortunately , Tetley :( ;)

[video=youtube;x89xAXHd2l8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x89xAXHd2l8[/video]

Good one I do like that ..
Twodogs
Thanks Twodogs

Looks like a job well done Pete.

Cheers Tam :)

siman

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2010
Blackpool, UK
I've cut glass before with the score, heat, cool method. Score around the glass with a glass cutter, then heat up the crack all the way around until its hot to touch, then just put it in a bucket of cold water. Make it crack along the score line.

pwb

I've cut glass before with the score, heat, cool method. Score around the glass with a glass cutter, then heat up the crack all the way around until its hot to touch, then just put it in a bucket of cold water. Make it crack along the score line.

Hi siman,
Tried that method ,found it worked great with larger bottles/jars but had no luck with the narrow glass that was required for a candle lantern :dunno:.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Nice mod that. I found a can of lynx the other day, that was left over from several I bought to make those lynx can stoves. May giv that a try. Thanks for sharing.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi siman,
Tried that method ,found it worked great with larger bottles/jars but had no luck with the narrow glass that was required for a candle lantern :dunno:.

It might be that the glass is slightly thicker . I've seen it work by dribbling hot water over score mark and dunking in cold , repeatedly ( maybe 4-5 times ) like your slowly cutting through the glass . Gives a very clean break .

Nice work too , Going to have a go at it . Would a shallow wood cone covered in that stickyback foil and attached to the underside of the lid put more light/heat out ( only I've seen quite a few led lights with that type of thing ) ?
Well done .
Cheers , Trev .

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great job on the lanterns Pete

I've been hacking up pop cans and deodorant tins myself for the last few weeks, good fun ain't it :)

pwb

. Can't you just use a glass cutter on the jar/bottle?
Tried that a few times ...was'nt pretty :yikes: . Think there must be a knack to it :).

Do they give off a lot of light?

Cheers
Ness :)

Hi Ness ,

It gives of a little less than the small Uco one as far as I can make out.

Enough to act as a navigation light to help guide someone back to their hammock after a few beers :D.

It might be that the glass is slightly thicker . I've seen it work by dribbling hot water over score mark and dunking in cold , repeatedly ( maybe 4-5 times ) like your slowly cutting through the glass . Gives a very clean break .

Nice work too , Going to have a go at it . Would a shallow wood cone covered in that stickyback foil and attached to the underside of the lid put more light/heat out ( only I've seen quite a few led lights with that type of thing ) ?
Well done .
Cheers , Trev .

Hi Trev,
I think the thickness of smaller jars is why they prove hard to cut too.
Good idea about the reflective cone , would work with a LED but as there's very little room might be difficult with a candle.

I've been hacking up pop cans and deodorant tins myself for the last few weeks, good fun ain't it :)

Indeed it is mate :cool:

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice work there PWB. goodjob

Just a note on cutting the glass, if you intend to do it that way again make sure you wear a face mask to protect against glass dust. Get that stuff into your lungs and they'll be sliced to bits. Most glass grinding is done with water wheels for that very reason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE