low cost tablet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Toying with getting tablet as I seem to use phone more than laptop these days.

i'm after a relatively cheap one. I want it for surfing the net, emails when out and about and using some mapping software.

Must external sd / micro sd card - at least 32gb compatible and ideally GPS

Any suggestions?

So far the Tesco Hudl is looking the favourite.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got an Apple iPad mini, it's more expensive than the Hudl bit it's a great tablet. It's all I use for internet, the camera is great, it videos well too. Yo can get them in lots of gb, mine is the 32, I've got loads of stuff on it and I've barely scratched the memory. It is a great tablet, can't fault it!

Hope this helps :).

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've got the Hudl, about all I use for the internet and after three weeks working away in the States its all I've used, didn't bother with a laptop.
I've been a lifelong fan of Apple products but have got fed up with them dictating what I can and can't do with their products more and more so, this is as good as any Apple product at a fraction of the cost and without the tie in, get a Hudl or the Nexus seems pretty good but not sure its worth the extra cash :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Eds,
I have a iPad mini 2 with retina display.

One of my daughters has a kindle fire hd and another the hudl.

I've gotta say my iPad is by far the best, very slick indeed,the hudl is good, it freezes up a lot and Tesco are very aware of it, I would certainly have recommended it until for some strange reason it froze completely and then went red hot, too hot to touch!! Tesco are delivering another one 2moro, a recon tablet, tried to get a brand new model but they were not having it!! It does seem a rare fault though, googling didn't bring up and hits on a similar fault.

On the whole though the kindle hd has been simply brilliant!! Yes the apps are limited at the minute, however it handles everything faultlessly!! The apps are getting better every day and in time it will be right up there.

If you do go for a kindle make sure you get the fire hd, my mother in law has the normal kindle fire and the hd is a lot better.

Got the cash, go iPad, best £250 I've spent in a while, if it's budget defo have a look at the kindle.

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Look out for end of line Nexus tablet's the mk 2 is the in thing but Argos amongst others keep on finding mk 1's and flog them on for around £80. Check out Argos on ebay etc.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Dash it - I thought I was going to see some cheap Scottish sweeties!

Aww, bless ya :)

As mentioned, Apple still attempt to be very exclusive, but I really like the intuitive simplicity of their products. Not a fan boy, I've tried a few tablet computers, but the iPad and Mini work really well for me. I can pass it to someone else and they don't need to ask me operate it.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Minor thread hijack but do the non apple tablets have the Capacity to have full functioning Microsoft Office software ie Word etc installed on them?

Thanks

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
You could always look at a Nook HD+ the price is crashing on those. They have an apple level screen and are nicely built. They have a crappy kindle style interface but I just loaded Nova launcher on to mine and effectively turned it back into a normal tablet. Mine has a built in 32gb memory and I have added a 32gb card to it. the 9" screen is lovely and accessories are dirt cheap as it is considered a failure as a device.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Android is the most functional. Stay with a Google product or one that flashed. I HATE Apple- very good if all of your products are Apple and you don't mind being hobbled with functionality. The specs of the Hudl are half decent and there are many ROMs available for it, although out of the box it hasn't been crippled as much as the Kindle for instance. We have a Hudl in the family and a 2012 Nexus 7 which has been fantastic.

Aldi (or Lidl!) are selling an 7" android tablet for £80 which seems well specced but you will have to find the manufacturer to find a ROM to flash from the forums.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
But there are many compatible Office Suites.

I use Kingsoft Office available from GooglePlay for free. Excellent bit of software and genuinely compatible with MS Office.

I use a Nexus 7 and love it to bits. Small enough to slip in a jacket pocket, fast as hell, easy to find cheap covers\cases for (not so easy/cheap with some other tablets), you can add on a keyboard or integrated keyboard case for when you really, really need to type.

Lots of cheap Mk1's floating about of you get in now which make it very competative compared to cheaper tablets (plus you're getting full compatibility with google playstore, kindle, etc which some cheaper tablets don't have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE