Looking for likeminded bushcrafters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gus1990

Mar 28, 2011
Glasgow
Hello all

I'm Angus and I'm from near Montrose. I picked up a coppy of Ray Mears' outdoor survival handbook whilst at university in Glasgow and have been working through it almost as a course starting early this spring, trying out as many things as I can. I'm really enjoying this new found hobby and have mostly been on my own, except for a few trips with some semi-interested friends of mine. Now i'm back in this neck of the woods I stumbled upon this forum! The septemper meet looks great but I'll be moving away back to glasgow before then.

I was wondering if anyone in this forum goes on wee weekend trips that I could maybie join in on? If not maybie we can get something organised? I'm around from now untill the end of August. It would be interesting to learn from other people as all I have done so far has been by reading and then learning by trial and error.

Angus

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi angus i am from port glasgow i am interested in a cpl of nights out..

Gus1990

Mar 28, 2011
Glasgow
I don't really have a preferred site but I noticed you expressed an interest in Glen Tanar on another thread. I have been there for a few walks and cycle runs and it really is a fantastic place. I live within about an hour and a half's drive from there so its a place we could look into. Anyone else interested in a wild weekend in Glen Tanar?

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
I don't really have a preferred site but I noticed you expressed an interest in Glen Tanar on another thread. I have been there for a few walks and cycle runs and it really is a fantastic place. I live within about an hour and a half's drive from there so its a place we could look into. Anyone else interested in a wild weekend in Glen Tanar?

i would be up for a weekend in glen taner..

Gus1990

Mar 28, 2011
Glasgow
Great i'm looking forward to it. what sort of weekend do you want this to be? Walking into the woods with axe and cooking pot and living off the land? or more of a relaxed camping kind of thing. I've never been to a bush moot so i'm not sure what the norm is!

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
I cant live off the land :(.
I think we should bring whatever gear we want and can carry. Tho i will bring an axe and a cooking pot as well. Will also pack my chute and will put it up if appropriate/possible.
Is there anything you want to try, im not that experienced but you might be in luck.
Iv been to a few meets, but my first bushmoot will be this year.

Gus1990

Mar 28, 2011
Glasgow
Ah theres a difference between a moot and a meet!

Anyway yea the shute could be a good plan, though I was envisiging a low key sort of affair away from the beaten track. I'll probably build a natural shelter but will bring a tent in case this isn't feasable. I wouldn't mind trying to make resin glue, seeing as there will be plenty of pine trees around, you tried this before on another meet?

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Yeah, moots something like 20x bigger.

The chute is dark green and dont start out to much.
I was bandaged up (silly me) but iv seen it done, should be able to make something.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great i'm looking forward to it. what sort of weekend do you want this to be? Walking into the woods with axe and cooking pot and living off the land? or more of a relaxed camping kind of thing. I've never been to a bush moot so i'm not sure what the norm is!

Take plenty of food, you won't live off the land or if you try you will go home in need of a feed. Good food is half the fun anyway.

Wont be able to make it next weekend....kind of need one or 2 to catch up on things before the moot. Just been in the Lakes for a course. For the pine resin, try mixing fine ash, filtered pine resin (ie taking out the bits of wood and other impurities) and some beeswax if you can get some and you are looking at a ratio of 2 parts resin to 1 part ash and 1 part beeswax. This should give a much smoother mix than what we had before.

If you do go for a natural shelter, put on alot more spruce boughs than you think you need....especially if it is raining as things get rather wet if you don't as I found out on Firday night. lol

Gus1990

Mar 28, 2011
Glasgow
Ah so you were sleeping out on Friday night as well! I stayed out in a local wood under a natural shelter. I read the weather forecast before i went so stuck on an extra covering of lime boughs which did the job and kept me dry. Lighting the fire in the morning was a bit of a mission though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE