Looking for a new blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I apologise as I realise this thread must of been done to death by now. Though I am looking for a new knife.

Blade wise I generally carryout most tasks with a axe or hatchet. I only really every use a knife for gutting and filleting fish and wood carving it's very rare I need to skin game. I have always leant toward a skandi grind as I have always been told it's the best for working with wood. Which is the majority of the work.

Now I have been looking at the ESEE 4 with a flat grind as it lends it's self not to be as delicate as a skandi grind but I am rather torn between this or going for a skandi grind knife of a similar price.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Carving and filleting are almost polar opposites. I'd just buy a good trout and Bird knife, or something like an opinel efille and then a dedicated whittler/bushcraft. Check out buschraft-kit.com. a knife for every instance, and great prices and fantastic customer service. Hard pressed to find better value than BK Knives :)

Last edited:

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
I have just recently got the TBS boar, I got the dangler sheath with a firesteel and dc4. But the no frills model is just under £100. I got mine in carbon steel and it's great. I would highly recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
e42d4bd22248f9aa42b3e947bad18d32.jpg
this is it next to my small forest axe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have only heard good things about Hell knives so that is another one to look into. ...

I have a few Helle knives.

I really like the Odel.

I like the Harding but I'm not keen on the button/strap arrangement.

The Kvernstein vanished without trace when I returned it by post with a chipped pommel. Similar to the Harding for the button/strap arrangement.

I have to say that the Temagami was most disappointing. The blade is fine but the scales don't really fit.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I've got an ESEE 3 for finer tasks. It is a brilliant knife. ESEE are a great company with very well designed knives and excellent quality control. It's a shame their stuff costs so much more over here. Personally I think the ESEE 4 is too thick for its length, but then I pair my small knife with something bigger for heavier tasks anyway. (It used to be an axe and a folding saw but now it's a large knife (ESEE Junglas) and a folding saw.) If your not too fussed about having traditional wood scales and leather sheath, and are willing to spend the money, ESEE knives are an excellent choice. Whatever you want to buy Don't rush into it - make sure you hold one and ideally use one before parting with money.

Jan 26, 2016
newquay
the wood jewel knife is a great combo. it is handmade and comes in two blade sizes 7.7cm or 10.5cm carbon steel with fire steel and leather sheath and all for under £60.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
As I couldn't decide on what I wanted I went for a karesuando knife kit and shaped my own handle the blade a Puukko style is pretty much what I was looking for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE