Looking for a high end backpack with PALS/MOLLE compatibility.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I'm in the market for a backpack of between 50-70L.

Must feature PALS webbing, be made of at least 1000D Cordura and have great build quality.

It can't be any kind of camouflage print, I'd consider Olive Drab but black would be ideal.

So far I've had a look at this:
www.wolverine.com.pl/en/w50_od_II.php

I have the 90L in OG. Amazing bag, but can anyone recommend anything to rival this before I buy the 50L in black?

Cheers.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm in the market for a backpack of between 50-70L.

Must feature PALS webbing, be made of at least 1000D Cordura and have great build quality.

It can't be any kind of camouflage print, I'd consider Olive Drab but black would be ideal.

So far I've had a look at this:
www.wolverine.com.pl/en/w50_od_II.php

I have the 90L in OG. Amazing bag, but can anyone recommend anything to rival this before I buy the 50L in black?

Cheers.

I have the wolverine monolith 70 and it rocks my world. ive seen nothing to rival the build quality and functionality. I do like the look of tasmanian tiger packs though

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
http://www.kifaru.net/pointman.html#

I'm impressed with this... a touch more expensive than the Wolverine 50L.

I have the wolverine monolith 70 and it rocks my world. ive seen nothing to rival the build quality and functionality. I do like the look of tasmanian tiger packs though
Some interesting options there on the TAsmanian tiger packs... a little less MOLLE than I'd like tho...

Last edited:

patrols

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
cornwall
I have a Camelbak BFM in Sage green but they also do Black and Coyote Tan, aprox 50L in size with outside pockets and multiple Molle attachment points good packs for the price and very comfy carried mine all round the Brecon Beacons on a 5 day trip last summer with no problems at all.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Tasmanian Tiger packs are very good, however only the Raid Pack MKII is offered in black, and it's 45 litres.

http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/php/artintt9.php?7714_TT Raid Pack MKII

They had a limited stock of the 100 litres "Field Pack" in black, but sold out almost immediately.

Other high end packs I can think of are from Eberlestock, but are expensive.

http://www.eberlestock.com/Tactical Master.htm
The Black or at least OG at a push is a must for me, I'm travelling to places I really don't want to appear like i'm part of some non native armed forces at first glance.

I have a Camelbak BFM in Sage green but they also do Black and Coyote Tan, aprox 50L in size with outside pockets and multiple Molle attachment points good packs for the price and very comfy carried mine all round the Brecon Beacons on a 5 day trip last summer with no problems at all.

Interesting, yet it's not 1000D Cordura...

I Think it's coming down the the 50L Arizzon or the Kifaru Pointman or Zulu....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The Black or at least OG at a push is a must for me, I'm travelling to places I really don't want to appear like i'm part of some non native armed forces at first glance.

Interesting, yet it's not 1000D Cordura...

I Think it's coming down the the 50L Arizzon or the Kifaru Pointman or Zulu....

It would help to know where you're going. Over here black would draw the most police attention. It's the color of choice for the mass shooters.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Ouch, most of my gear is black! I'm not sure what that says... Where are you Santaman?

I've got a Kifaru Zulu and find it great. Used it as a day sack and as an expedition sack and as a military bergan. With side pockets and a pod on the front she holds loads of kit and is still carryable.

Claudiasboris

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Ouch, most of my gear is black! I'm not sure what that says... Where are you Santaman?

I've got a Kifaru Zulu and find it great. Used it as a day sack and as an expedition sack and as a military bergan. With side pockets and a pod on the front she holds loads of kit and is still carryable.

Claudiasboris

Looks like I need to skip Florida! I'm not set on black but I thought it to be the least military looking of the colours that is typically available without special order.

I'm planning on Morocco, Eastern Europe, South America and Canada. A friend of mine had issues in Morocco with his DPM pattern bag. I've been advised to steer clear of DPM in S. America too. Primarily it's going to be UK usage of course.

I'm leaning more and more towards the Zulu with some of my existing MOLLE pockets. How was it importing it from the States? I've only ever had stuff imported from the Eu so no experience with customs and taxes etc...

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
He's in Florida, USA. Don't think in Europe you're going to get such an attention, even though it's a bit strange for most people who aren't familiar with military gear.

Here in Greece carrying MOLLE packs in OG or Black isn't that strange, partially because of we males tend to keep our "military look" even after our compulsory service. You do get a head turn, especially if it's a big pack.

Tatonka has some daydacks with MOLLE

http://www.pm-outdoorshop.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p123620_Big-Air.html&counter=34
http://www.pm-outdoorshop.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p123616_Shifty.html&counter=30
http://www.pm-outdoorshop.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p123613_Pogo.html&counter=4

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Where do wolverine get their prices from and who buys them? For that pack :banghead: that's like a months wages for an average pole!

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Where do wolverine get their prices from and who buys them? For that pack :banghead: that's like a months wages for an average pole!

I think its a bit of a boutique brand with low volume hense the high prices. Its a very well made pack. great modular pouch options which clip on and off and a fully adjustable back system. Mine should last me a lifetime

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Be nice to know what issued packs are like? I might know a man that knows another man that could find a man that could ? ;)

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
The Wolverine packs use beyond NATO spec for a lot of their construction. The quality is well worth the price, especially knowing it will last a life time. You couldn't take my 90L away from me.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've a 1989, what I believe to be commando issue Bergan. I can easily see that out living me ;)

I'm not disputing the quality. Its just the pricing that seems crazy. Not so crazy if your ' service ' but crazy for civvi. I'd be tempted to buy one, but after finding a top quality Lowe alpine salient uncomfortable, I'm very weary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE