Looking for a book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

norfolkjohn

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2010
norwich norfolk
Hi all,can any of you experienced guy's help a newbie:confused:
i have to-day tried my local bookstores,looking for a book on tree,s
there descriptions characteristics & quality's and uses for carving making fire, tools and other items.
any general info as always would be appreciated:)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sounds to be five seperate volumes there NJ,
One book that specific would be a household thing for this forum.

There was a thread a few days ago asking similar questions and IIRC got similar replies - buy a number of books so that you can cross reference.
Paul Kirtley's blog recently had a piece on identifying trees from bark and buds.

ATB

Ogri the trog

norfolkjohn

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2010
norwich norfolk
Thank,s OTG, the ones i have looked at are all good in there own way so maybe a multi purchase,is the way to go.
And go play in the woods with my new little scandi traditional 2.5 blade bought for whittle with.
by the way ! some time ago i was looking to make walking/trekking pole do you treat them in any way or leave in a natural state ?

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
the HMSO produce a book on wood and its uses buts it purely a silvicultural publication, no mentions of spoons i'm afraid.
what is does have is a comprehensive list of of species grown in britain; their uses, qualities, etc.
no pics but an instructive read.
this book plus a jumbo collins field guide would provide all the info you'd need.
BUT very few books contain keys for winter i.d. you would need to purchase that seperately. a good one is published by the field studies council.

hope this helps.

E

ex member coconino

Woodland crafts in Britain by Edlin is a good one.If you can find it.Have you tried Tombland books?

A wonderful book which I seldom return to its place on the shelf. Not only an enchanting exposition of English woodcraft, it is also a record of ways of life which, though still within living memory, seem to be from a distant and ancient age. Looking recently for a copy to buy for a friend, I leaned that its secondhand price ranges from about twenty-five pounds to forty. Even so, it is worth every farthing.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
A wonderful book which I seldom return to its place on the shelf. Not only an enchanting exposition of English woodcraft, it is also a record of ways of life which, though still within living memory, seem to be from a distant and ancient age. Looking recently for a copy to buy for a friend, I leaned that its secondhand price ranges from about twenty-five pounds to forty. Even so, it is worth every farthing.

You've just prompted me to have a look on amazon.:eek::eek:
I found a 1st edition w/dust jacket for a song at a chuch book fair.
Agreed, it is a very good book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE