Looking after yourself?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
About a week ago I did my usual jaunt into my favourite spot in the woods, put up the tarp, got the woodgas burner on the go did a bit of videoing etc.

All was going smoothly, surprised that it only rained a bit, then I noticed 3 fella’s trying to creep around the tree line towards me! I carried on, keeping an eye on them as they got closer, so I stood up and retrieved my staff I had leant against a tree 10 feet away. I don’t know if it was this action that changed events, but I heard them stop and finally watched as they retraced their steps.

I am not the smallest of people, so was it this that put them off or were they just pratting about? I have been in enough situations when I know I am being threatened, and wondered how others cope when out and about by themselves?

As they left, I saw them backtrack, and my thought was to creep around the back of me! Paranoia again. This point I had slowly been getting my stuff together anyway, I packed up and left through a way I knew they would have difficulty following.

Now as I say, I’m not paranoid but find this weird, and since there have been a couple of homeless/refugee camps in the woods over the summer. From what I could make out they weren’t kids either, but if they were trying to improve their stalking skills, well I would have to tell them to give up now! lol

I go out quite a lot and camp out alone, and will continue to. Hopefully no one will say it only happens in films!

So I ask, has anyone else experienced this type of thing and do you have an action plan for events like this?

Stay safe.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Is it possible they were in fact poachers? Wandering through the wood looking for pheasants (or round us, Xmas trees), and spot you - then they back off again?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Did you hear banjo's?

in all seriousness i'd have been worried myself, 3 guys just creeping up on you? most people would just walk straight up and say "what on earth are you doing?" whereas creeping around?
tbh being stood at your full hight with a large staff probebly helped matters, dressed in various shades of green with a large staff you probebly made them do a mental check and decide they weren't that brave after all.
are you sure it was adults or was it just teenagers perhaps?

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Is it possible they were in fact poachers? Wandering through the wood looking for pheasants (or round us, Xmas trees), and spot you - then they back off again?

No, most of the animals are about a mile away, never seen a pheasant there. Could be xmas trees, but I knew thet saw me before they started creeping about!

Did you hear banjo's?

in all seriousness i'd have been worried myself, 3 guys just creeping up on you? most people would just walk straight up and say "what on earth are you doing?" whereas creeping around?
tbh being stood at your full hight with a large staff probebly helped matters, dressed in various shades of green with a large staff you probebly made them do a mental check and decide they weren't that brave after all.
are you sure it was adults or was it just teenagers perhaps?

I'm not even going to think about, 'sqweel piggy' thanks! lmao

I have come across people in the woods in the past. As you say, you may pass them by and say, you OK, nice day etc etc, but not creep up on them. In my book thats asking for trouble.

I know some people would have gone after them, but I know things can turn nasty both for and against you!

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
u done the right thing m8 standing ur ground , it's a bad world out there even faraway in the woods , u scream like a hog boy... hee hee...

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Ho hum. Will probably make you feel differently about that site in future - time to either find a fresh one, or switch to stealth bushcraft in the style of the VC or Bielskis...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Get yourself a dog.:)

It's not easy to creep up on a doggy and most reprobates would not be too keen to take on you and a whirling bundle of muscle and fang.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd have started sharpening my axe really slowly I think.

On a solo night out in the Lakes once I heard some strange noises in the woods below me, it was just starting to turn dark so it was hard to clearly make anything out in the shadows. I was sure I could hear metallic kinds of noises but also grunts and wheezing, I moved round to the other side of the fire to improve my night vision and just sat still for a couple of minutes.
Eventually curiousity got the better of me and I set off to investigate, armed with a 4ft length of ash and my knife I followed a boundary wall down to where I thought the noises were coming from. As I turned a corner and out into an opening there was this poor guy down on his knees trying to free the chain on his bike that had jammed against the frame. He turned and saw me dressed in stealthy greens and armed to the teeth and his first reaction was to jump to his feet and start backing away. I kind of laughed out loud with relief more than anything and he did pretty much the same, we freed his chain and off he went.

For some reason he didn't accept my offer of a brew.

Kind of makes you realise that usually we're the scary ones out there.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
I do move my site about quite a lot, and yes I had thought of a 'bushcraft' dog, good idea.

I tend not to think about what could be, you would never go out! And you are right Shewee. Many years ago in my youth, I was heavily into the bike thing, long hair, patched trousers etc, and I asked some old women coming out of bingo if they had change.

Well this one old dear, threw her purse at me and ran off screaming down the road. I wondered what the hell was going on, so I caught her up and said I'm not mugging you, I just need change!

Its easy to get the wrong idea about people, but its best to be aware of surroundings etc.

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
tjwuk, Are you camping near built up area?

I usually do a couple of solo camps not far from where I live, there is always some sort of activity going on, its either guy's on motor x bikes, people taking drugs gangs of kids camping. On a couple of occasions I have had to abandon my camp,never the less there are times when I know its safe to go camping have a fire etc you just need to know the area your in who uses it when they use it and where they camp.

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
I'd be tempted to report the incident to plod - as next time they're creeping about it may be a lone female or young mother with kids, or a couple of teenagers out for some woods camping, that get the "benefit" of their attention!!

Dodgy

Most of the time I'm out & about I'm stalking/rabbit shooting/pheasant shooting -nobody has crept up on me yet - luckily

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I'd have got them on video, doubt they'd have done anything meself, I'm not a big fella, been approached by a few gangs on the Liverpool waterfront who get a bad name. Way I dealt with one particular group was to invite the mouthy one to have a cast of one of my rods, the lad was made up and wanted to know more.

The only thing I'd fear is if they broke my fishing rod and having to call the paramedics for them.
icon7.gif

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
What a horrible experience to have. Not happened to me as such, but I do make provision for it in my own little way. I hope it doesn't taint your future excursions TJ.
I tend to have an open attittude to other people in the same area as me and would normally confront them with a greeting and be as amiable as possible - I'd like to think I's be able to discern their itentions from that initial contact. After that I'd take the course of action I'd think appropriate - anything from a shared brew, strike camp and go if in doubt. Self protection is an entirely different thing with so many 'variables' - though I am of the opinion that I'd rather end up in the dock than a box anyday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE