Longer technical waterproof - walking / day to day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Basically my outdoor activities have changed. Instead of longer walks all weathers I'm doing shorter walks with a young child or dog walks. Before wet days were waterproof trousers and jacket. Now I'm doing more walks without the waterproof trousers.

The jacket I have is a mountaineering style and short. Rain runs off it straight into the groin area which IMHO is very uncomfortable when wet out. Since I'm mostly wearing waterproof jacket without trousers I'm looking for a good longer jacket but one that's similar in style to a modern mountaineering

Anyone got a suggestion? I know it's not bushcraft but I'm looking for a jacket that's longer like top spec outdoor jackets used to be.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sew a skirt of waterproof material to the lower edge of the existing jacket.
Something that you can unsnap/unfasten to let down in wet weather.

I have such a "tail-flap" on my snow camo for hunting.
My butt never gets wet, sitting in the snow.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Outdoor Research still do their Foray jacket. I bought one of these in 2012 and it has been gradually growing on me over time. Longer in cut, the way you asked for and with a bit of a tail scoop. It isn't over specified like Norrona or Arcteryx in terms of fit and zippage, but has everything you want for a snug waterproof time.For price point, construction and design, I think OR are one of the best ... considerably less costly than the super premium brands but fully thought through and functional ... even a bit dashing: meaning you won't look like and old Dad in it.

Hardshell goretex, so a little noisy, but with a bit of a peach outerskin to minimize that. Among the many many w/proof jackets I have it is the one I am fondest of and it has proven very durable. Mainly used skiing/shoeing in the wet and for the dog and kids ... holds off a torrent just fine, and is very adaptable. Current muted colours might not be your taste ... personally I like orange :)

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just looked at an OR video of the foray jacket on a UK retailers site (UOG). It looks like the length is still short. Any run off of rain would still hit the groin area IMHO.

I think I'm looking at the longer paramo jackets for length. I just don't fit their shape, too tall for my torso size. Either their jackets are too short in arm and body but fits around torso. Or it's right in length of arms and body length but too baggy around the torso. Something like alta 3. I did own the original alta jacket, right length.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Know what you mean still mis my first goretex coat from the late 80’s a berghaus lightning was long enough to be just above the knees wore it for all my long distance hillwalks.

fashion changed and long jackets were stopped.

The only thing I can think you can wear long now is a poncho, but not ideal for you

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Maybe get a proper look at a Recon if you are looking for a long cut or look at those Swazis

The Recon has great coverage and though I have used it skiing it wouldn’t be a first choice even though it hikes up nicely. Great for walking when it is chucking it down but heavy and bulky compared to other hard shells. Not much use if you ever want to gun it

Paramo is very marmite and, after buying one I realized I don’t like marmite. Really badly cut and slip around like they are trying to avoid arrest

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Can’t find it but a previous post had a long over the head smock copy of ridge line and Swazi for about £60. Wish I could find it

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Another thing to do is to actually measure how long you want the jacket to be in inches in whichever size you usually take and then simply trawl the specs on the Marmot, OR, or whatever site. The old shopper's adage is that you have to put the hours in, in the end :lol: Many mountainy clothing mfrs simply don't deal in slow or low output and you may just be better off looking for a PU Peter Storm, Mountain Method or some sailing clobber.

Take a look at Keela though .. .the Lomond might suit if you are looking for something like a waterproof 'country jacket' in a longer cut

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
£30!!!! Low breathability though. I'm used to top spec event or goretex or paramo or non membrane softshell. Mostly 20-30k breathability (2-3x that of this smock). Looks an option.

Tbh it's for lower use but also walking so ideally a good mountain jacket but longer. I think the trend to shorter length has some logic to it but I'm sure there will be a market for longer if it was offered as an option.

I know ME used to make the modern style with short length but they also did longer versions of their most popular jackets.

Logic is to make them short to allow easy use with climbing harness, less length = less fabric = lower weight & pack size. However most people don't worry about the difference between 600g long jacket and 400g short jacket. Possibly even lighter options got long and short now.

Lots of good idea but tbh I'm really looking for high end but long.

Used to own paramo alta original version. When I got mine there was the base version cascada, top spec walking jacket called alta and the mountaineering spec aspira. The middle one came with matching spec level trousers. The aspira was a very short smock because it read designed to be used in winter with their matching salopettes all day trousers I rarely wore all day except in winter they're great to put on over wet trousers when you've fallen through snow into a tarn as they kind of dry everything underneath very very quickly.

Back then they didn't put velcro on jackets. Theory was velcro doesn't stick shut well with snow in the hooks. Not true and they've now gone to velcro cuffs. The poppers meant they allowed the extra big cuffs to drop out like a kind of ruff on the wrists.

The fit is wide for its length IMHO. I'm. Medium body but it's short. I'm. Xl for length but that's way too baggy. Are there any paramo jackets user are longer and slim?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I understand

Have a look at the Arcteryx Sawyer and, more likely, the Sabre (there's a light and a full spec version) - Maybe still too short, though.

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/sabre-lt-jacket

Look at boarding jackets ... I remember about five six years ago longs were de rigueur for the young, stoned snow sloucher ... Norrona did a few, Burton and a bunch of others ... have a look at the Burton Vagabond, Covert, Gunstock etc

The sole problem with Norrona (assuming you get past the clowny colours) is the bearded gent plonked right in the middle of your back (like toilet paper on your shoe) ... otherwise their stuff really is very very good

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
A Swazi Tahr might hit the mark for you they're at knee length but the price point is high. I tried one on but looked more like Friar Tuck.

Reactions: Billy-o

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Have you looked at the snugpak vapour jackets, nothing fancy simply designed for what you what
They're a softshell that looks similar to the rab vapour rise I've already got. Works well for showers but soon wets out in proper rain. I do like softshells. I've got a few and had a few more over the years. Great up to a point in rain all of them but tbh I need a bit more like a hardshell gives you.

BTW I've owned a montane softshell for years that's simply a thin layer of pertex equilibrium. I'm on my second version which had a kind of smooth outer face like the old schoeller hard face softshells from a decade ago. Water beads up on it for a while even in heavy rain which eventually overwhelms it. Amazing performance considering it's a thin layer and a denier weave without a membrane.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Now that's an idea, leather mac length Western style coat. Was that the "uniform" of pinkertons in the wild wild west?

Wore a fabric mac once, nicked my dad's to get to an interview on a very wet day in a dry state. If they didn't have a reputation as a flasher mac...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE