Longbow archery help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I have recently made an ash longbow and have started to get my technique together.
One thing that is a problem though is that the fletchings slice my hand between the thumb and knuckle on my bow hand.
The leading edge of my fletchings are not particularly sharp.
What is the correct way to hold or place the arrow so that this does not happen?
Should the hand be tilted one way or the other or should the arrow rest/ride on a correct spot?

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi

two solutions to this

where the leading edge of the fletching joins the arrow shaft a small drop of fletching glue or a thin leather golfing glove on the bow hand works well :)

The way you hold the bow will nor effect it as the arrow should always rest in the grove caused by your knuckle and the bow

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
You should wear a shooting glove on your left hand if you shoot across your hand. Also a drop of glue on the front of the fletchings will help.

Or as said simply glue something on the left side of your bow (assuming you're right handed) on which you can put the arrow. It will help you with
consistency when you're just starting out. Good luck!

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
As most people do not use gloves I assumed that there was a trick to it.
I don't want to put a shelf on my bow as longbows traditionally don't have them.
My fletchings are 5,5" and they are bound front and rear.

The way you hold the bow will nor effect it as the arrow should always rest in the grove caused by your knuckle and the bow
This may be where I am doing it wrong...

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Yeah it could be the length, if I use 5in Fletchings they rub my hand too, you may want to make the nocking point on the string as this could help.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
I shoot without protection on my bow hand without any problems. The cut comes from the front end of the quill, not from the vanes of the feathers. The front of the quill should be tapered down for about half a centimeter in front of the first vanes and then bound over with thread, so that it is completely covered and you have a smooth transition from shaft to vanes.

640px-Fletching-Arrow-9.jpeg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I shoot without protection on my bow hand without any problems. The cut comes from the front end of the quill, not from the vanes of the feathers. The front of the quill should be tapered down for about half a centimeter in front of the first vanes and then bound over with thread, so that it is completely covered and you have a smooth transition from shaft to vanes.

640px-Fletching-Arrow-9.jpeg

Ayup Dave, how is that beech bow going?

I would like to say I wear a glove to tune a bow for the first time to avoid this but I would be fibbing. Currently have a hand full of cuts from the same thing.
Nocking height as Orgi says is almost always the culprit. Correct nocking height and a properly spined shaft and the arrow should barely make contact with your hand and the bow.
A lot of the trad folk dont like nock markers on the string but I think they are great. Shelf or no shelf is another long fought argument, i like both.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
In primitive class we are not allowed an arrow shelf. I use a small length of linen thread on my bow string to act as a knocking point.

I sometimes use a strip of micro pore tape on my bow hand to protect against fletch cuts.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
That's the one I have on my crimbo wish list, not too keen on my current one as the finger tip on one finger twists a little

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Whilst I don't use a long bow, I have a Korean traditional bow, I use a bear claw, three fingered glove, on my drawing hand and a weightlifting glove on my bow hand, or if I forget the weight lifting glove I tilt the bow slightly, I'm a lefty so anticlockwise and that does the job too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That's the one I have on my crimbo wish list, not too keen on my current one as the finger tip on one finger twists a little

Worth the extra money over the cheaper gloves. I tried several and hated them all.
Much better feel of the string through the softer leather.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The one I have is one of those finger tip jobs that goes over the back of the hand to the strap, the tips are so stiff you cant feel the string and they twist a bit which is annoying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE