Long term woodland shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
If one had to spend a year in woodland and you have a axe, saw or other tools, what would be your go to shelter building method?

I have seen all types from holes in the ground to full on log cabins. Would you invest vast amounts of time and energy on a shelter or just knock up something simple?

I suppose a hypothetical scenario could be you loose your marbles then your job and home and have to sleep rough? You have a giro or whatever enough for basic supplies. There is a good outcome on the horizon maybe a council house comes up but it is a year away?

Me? I think I would try for an iron age round house type shelter? Twin walls made of posts and wattle and daub stuffed with dry leaves /grass between. Pitched roof with hole in middle for fire smoke to escape? That will do me for a year?

Steve

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If one had to spend a year in woodland and you have a axe, saw or other tools, what would be your go to shelter building method?

I have seen all types from holes in the ground to full on log cabins. Would you invest vast amounts of time and energy on a shelter or just knock up something simple?

I suppose a hypothetical scenario could be you loose your marbles then your job and home and have to sleep rough? You have a giro or whatever enough for basic supplies. There is a good outcome on the horizon maybe a council house comes up but it is a year away?

Me? I think I would try for an iron age round house type shelter? Twin walls made of posts and wattle and daub stuffed with dry leaves /grass between. Pitched roof with hole in middle for fire smoke to escape? That will do me for a year?

Steve

Something simple because in all likelihood you'd get moved on. I don't think you can get benefit payments without a permanant address?

You can't just turn up somewhere in the UK and start building a roundhouse.

232962--38623783-m750x740-ue0b79.jpg

232962--38623800-m750x740-u16807.jpg

232962--38623878-m750x740-u49be3.jpg

232962--38624451-m750x740-ua629d.jpg

Sort of thing.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Maybe a tipi? It would be relatively easy to build and is the most stable, able to handle the vagaries of the British weather over a year, particularly wind and snow.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
would depend on materials to hand and regional weather.

The one dependable constant in the UK these days is rain - so a roof to keep rain off and a raised floor would be priorities.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I'd take a yurt over a teepee, just a lot more useable room, cheap to make and you don't need those long poles. I built mine for around £600 but not that I've done one I bet I could get that down to £400 and still have a good one. If you were willing to use coppiced wood for your frame it would be cheaper still providing you could cut your own and not have to pay for it. Add a barrel stove and you'd be warm and dry.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
I think that for stealth reasons I would have to do the buried version and have it covered. Then it would most likely be good for the year, and yes longer to make but less chance of being moved on and end up more comfortable.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Maybe a tree house could be possible for added security? Though using only woodland materials it could be tricky to make?

Partly what instigated this thread was me remembering about a bloke who lived in the woods off one of the motorways. He went to work I believe but lived rough for whatever reason? This was a year or two ago and I don't know if he is still living like that?

Steve.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
I think that for stealth reasons I would have to do the buried version and have it covered. Then it would most likely be good for the year, and yes longer to make but less chance of being moved on and end up more comfortable.

ever tried digging in a woods? bloody nightmare with huge roots to hack through!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Long term?

Depends how far in the "woods" dunnit?
Don't think I'd be living in a see through placky sheet house for a start, OK for a night or two but not for any length of time.

Shipping container is my standard measurement for a good start as far as housing is concerned. Secure, waterproof and can be made comfortable after its got windows in, insulated and boarded out.
If its deep in the wood then a shipping container on the back of a Unimog?

Timber framed cabin maybe. Or at the very least a decent sized tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE