Long overdue meet up/skill share!!!!4th,5th,6th October

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, the title says it all really. So, seeing as its been an age, i wondered if anyone fancies a meetup/skill share maybe towards the end of September as the midges should be in retreat. Now i am open about ideas of location, but i can offer up WOOPLAW as a site. The dates i'm not fussed about as i can now get weekends off.

So whats your thoughts please.
I look forward to hearing from anyone.

Cheers Stuart.

Just to clarify, the dates for this meet up are 4th,5th,6th of October, and it will be held at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk/?page_id=95 community woodland in the Scottish Borders, the wood location is just north of Galashiels, there is a map in the link.

Last edited:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Isn't Wooplaw in Scotland?

Hi ADz-1983, yeah as Mary said it is indeed in southern Scotland. The reason i put the post in here was so that folks who have come up to our meetups in the past would get a chance to see it. Also i have never really been a fan of how the system works on bcuk, many years ago there were no separate forums, and all the meetup threads were all in one place, but Tony decided to change it many moons ago. I personally think the system we have now has kind of put up barriers, where people only visit the forum relavent to their area, and only attend meets in their area. And for this reason i think the meetups don't get the same amount of attendees as they used to, for instance back in the day when the old system was in use, we had meets where we would see 40 to 50 people attend, but with this system we have now, the turn outs are nowhere near what they used to.

For me Bushcraft was all about sharing knowledge with others, some of the knowledge just does'nt come across well on a forum, and is better shared face to face.

Hopefully you can now see why i open it up to other area forums, in the vain hope we can get more bodies at the meets we organize.

So if you feel like a little trip north of the border to attend our get together, then you would be made more than welcome.

Cheers Stuart.:grouphug:

Last edited:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Was a pleasure chatting with you Stuart, Count me in on this one and will ask the rest of the guys asap!

Hi d-day66, yeah thanks for the call, it was nice chatting to you. I,m glad you can make it, the more the merrier.
I will add your name to the list, over on the South Scotland forum. Oh and have a good holiday!

Cheers & Atb
Stuart.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hi ADz-1983, yeah as Mary said it is indeed in southern Scotland. The reason i put the post in here was so that folks who have come up to our meetups in the past would get a chance to see it. Also i have never really been a fan of how the system works on bcuk, many years ago there were no separate forums, and all the meetup threads were all in one place, but Tony decided to change it many moons ago. I personally think the system we have now has kind of put up barriers, where people only visit the forum relavent to their area, and only attend meets in their area. And for this reason i think the meetups don't get the same amount of attendees as they used to, for instance back in the day when the old system was in use, we had meets where we would see 40 to 50 people attend, but with this system we have now, the turn outs are nowhere near what they used to.

For me Bushcraft was all about sharing knowledge with others, some of the knowledge just does'nt come across well on a forum, and is better shared face to face.

Hopefully you can now see why i open it up to other area forums, in the vain hope we can get more bodies at the meets we organize.

So if you feel like a little trip north of the border to attend our get together, then you would be made more than welcome.

Cheers Stuart.:grouphug:

Ah I see.

I would love to attend a meet in Scotland however I would be relying on public transport so would be very expensive unless I could cadge a lift of somebody and share fuel costs.

Adam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you plan ahead and book by rail, you can often get really cheap deals :D
My cousin came up from Kent to Glasgow and it cost him not much over £40.
If you figure out where you can get to, then we'll suss out who's likely to be able to pick you up and get you on site and back off again.

cheers,
Toddy

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
If you plan ahead and book by rail, you can often get really cheap deals :D
My cousin came up from Kent to Glasgow and it cost him not much over £40.
If you figure out where you can get to, then we'll suss out who's likely to be able to pick you up and get you on site and back off again.

cheers,
Toddy

Cool, will have a look into it :)

I have looked in past and I priced a return at around £80, and that is from Yorkshire. No idea how he/she got it down to £40, was that one way or return? I dont really think I could justify £80 for travel costs for a weekend :(

Where exactly is the meet, do you have a gmaps reference bud?

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I personally think the system we have now has kind of put up barriers, where people only visit the forum relavent to their area, and only attend meets in their area. And for this reason i think the meetups don't get the same amount of attendees as they used to, for instance back in the day when the old system was in use, we had meets where we would see 40 to 50 people attend, but with this system we have now, the turn outs are nowhere near what they used to.

Interesting point, I've just subscribed to the whole meetup forum instead of just the Southern bits.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Cool, will have a look into it :)

I have looked in past and I priced a return at around £80, and that is from Yorkshire. No idea how he/she got it down to £40, was that one way or return? I dont really think I could justify £80 for travel costs for a weekend :(

Where exactly is the meet, do you have a gmaps reference bud?

Hi ADz-1983, i have put up a link in the first thread i posted above.
I hope this helps.
Cheers Stuart.

d-day66

Forager
Jan 21, 2011
consett, co durham
Hi d-day66, yeah thanks for the call, it was nice chatting to you. I,m glad you can make it, the more the merrier.
I will add your name to the list, over on the South Scotland forum. Oh and have a good holiday!

Cheers & Atb
Stuart.
Im not even there yet and im living it up already! lol! Thanks Stuart!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE