Loch Morar, Arisaig, Caley Canal and the Lochy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Had a Club Sea Kayak trip I had organised on the Skerries, lagoons and beaches of Arisaig and had a solo open paddle on Loch Morar and up the Caley canal and down the River Lochy.

Here are some pics, thursday till thursday.

Ben Nevis from the River Lochy. The lochy is the same river as the Spean, which is a hydro controlled river to help power the Alu. smelter in Fort William. On release, it's the biggest volume river in the UK. The day after I paddled it they had to release it due to high rain flows. It is described as a flat grade 1 in the guide, eh no. It was a high volume river with plenty of nice grd 1-2 rapids with a nice grd 2-3 drop. Lots of freindly fisherman chatting to me on the way down and two elderly fly fishers who asked to watch me shoot the grd 2-3 rapid.

IMAG1264.jpg

I had paddled along the Caledonian canal, soon to be a canoe trail, for a few hours then portaged over the canal wall and down to the river Lochy. Avoiding a shuttle. The Oich can be done in the same way.

Portage, hence why I like long painters daisy chained.

IMAG1254.jpg

This clip is of the River Nevis, stonkin' down. SO much rain this week.

The storm shelter makes a good improvised spinnaker for sailing.

IMAG1252.jpg

Lunch stop on an island, sea kayaking trip before the open boating. The boats top left. Very mild but drizzly on the sunday.

IMAG1244.jpg

This was the saturday, warm and in the 20s.

IMAG1237.jpg

Bootiful beaches on Loch Morar islands too.

IMAG1202.jpg

IMAG1192.jpg

Sponsored by ...........????

IMAG1177.jpg

Obligatory kelly kettle stop on the sands of Morar (sea) after an evening open paddle.

IMAG1226.jpg

Further info when I get time.

If anyone wants any put in, egress info etc give me a PM.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Looks great, the beaches are stunning. I'll have a look at that area on GE for a yak trip.

Thanks for sharing :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE