Loch Ard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
R

Ross

Hey Guys,
I was just wondering if any of you have been up to the Queen Elizabeth forest park on the shore of loch ard. its near Aberfoyle. i am goining up there for a week in March. Apart from Faries :shock: ( Reverend Robert Kirk - upset the Fairies by publishing his book "The Secret Commonwealth of Elves, Fauns and Fairies. The Fairies soon took their revenge and locked him in a Scots pine on Doon Hill!!) do any of you know any thing about the area can you find a quite place to camp ect!

cheers

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The first degree in Anthropology awarded by my Alma Mater, U.C.Berkely was to C. Evans-Wentz. His graduate dissertation 'The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries,' never caused him any problems with "the Good Neighbors," probably because in a final analysis of the beliefs he raised the idea they really existed!

M

max

Hello Ross

I stayed on a camp in QEFP years back while walking on and around Ben A'an, there are two camp areas - forest enterprise run - and you can also rent out self cater log cabins. QEFP has some excellent walks and bike trails.

Visiter centre only open in the summer though - I think!

Enjoy your trip :-D

Maxmountains

R

Ross

Hey,
i was thinking more of wild camping in the forest its self. is it well looked after or is it still quite wild (there is only so much you can tell from a map!) :evil:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi

I was up in the forest park last week. The area nearest Aberfoyle was being felled. However due to the size of the park I think you should be able to find yourself a nice quiet spot. I wouldn't bother with Aberfoyle though has very little to offer the bushcrafter, Seems to survive on coach tours. Not much in the way of outdoor supplies on offer.

Some of the Scots here probably have more comphrehensive info as i was walking and didnt spend too long there.

I'm sure you will have a great time. Let us know how you get on.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I was up there yesterday! Good timing!

The visitor centre is open, at least at weekends just now. Excellent cafe with homemade stuff.

There was some felling close to the forest drive, especially around Loch Drunkie.

QEFP is big. I'm usually there with the kids so haven't been too far off the beaten track. I'd guess best bet is to get the orange 1:25 000 OS map and find a nice bit away from the honeypots (ie, within half mile of a car park, the visitor centre, the forest drive and the national cycle route). Forestry Commission research once found that something like 80% of visitors stay within half a mile of the car and my own experience bears this out.

As with many working forests, the forest tracks on the ground don't all marry exactly with those on the map, and a compass (GPS?) is useful.

There are opportunities for catching brown trout but you might be a bit early.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Try the south side of Loch Ard.

There's a few stunning little spots there if you keep off the beaten track and keep your head down.

I haven't been there in a couple of years but used to use the forest a lot.

George

R

Ross

Thats where we were gonna go the south side. do you think we could get away with having a fire?

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Ross

If you're really careful to keep your head down I don't suppose anyone would see it.

There are a number of rocky outcrops in there that will make a safe place especially to the S.E.

I don't know what the rules are in there now but there also used to be a forestry camp site along that way that allowed fires.

George

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I'll be staying at Loch Achray for a week over easter and plan to do a few nights under canvas (well pu nylon!). Think I'll try for that spot you recommended for Ross..... any other suggestions will be gladly accepted too!

I've been before to the area a few times and was going to veer off the track that leads up to Ben A'an (sp) which is right beside where I'll be staying at Loch Achray, find a nice spot and get a camp going.

I don't remember midges being a problem but the times I was there it was quite cold, anybody know if I'll need repellant?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE