Load lugger Pt 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Got to try out the Load lugger this weekend. All in all it worked quite well, very low rolling resitance, the wheel coped well with the ruts and bumps of the path up to the woods and left barely a mark on the path.
It's not without some issues though. Stability is compromised due to the coupling system I made to the rucksack, this meant I had to hold the handles all the time. I also need to stiffen the frame to prevent the frame from twisting.
The load consisted of a, polish sleep mat, wool blanket, czech bedroll and 10ltrs of water, probably 15 kgs in all.
So still a work in progress.
IMG_20190301_115747.jpg IMG_20190301_115755.jpg

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Looks perfect for some hot tenting, carrying a stove and associated paraphernalia.
Would a cross member help with the twisting?
And I’d think having the lugger on a hip belt of its own would sort the stability?

Reactions: crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
What about adding some cross straps somehow so the right arm of the lugger is attached across to the left of the ruck and vica versa.

Just wondering if that will help stop the sway?

I have seen that before on multi wheeled trolleys and pulks, but I doubt it would work on this application.
firmer fixing to the waistbelt is the best I think.

Reactions: MrEd

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I was using what I had. It made sense to use an old rucksack this way, before cutting anything down to make a harness.

completely agree, use what you have before modifying too much. I do think a stand alone harness and cross connections [as mentioned by others] would help enormously. Just interested as I can see myself using something similar in the future :)

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Would a cross member help with the twisting?

Depends on how cross they are and what they decide to twist :D

I still haven’t had a chance to properly test out the old electric golf caddy I inherited, but I reckon the motor, wheels and battery (18 hole) are up to the job of easily carrying a load in that I wouldn’t want on my back. The long Lowe Alpine Sting lends its tall and narrow size to attaching with the bungees already fitted.

Obviously this defeats the object when it comes to long distance over several days carry as the battery will eventually die, but I reckon it wouldn’t be too difficult to put a couple of similar wheels with pneumatic tyres on it to make the walk-ins possible for my knacked hip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE