Living Willow Structure advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Advice wanted.

I have been asked to make a couple of living willow domes for the children's school, I have one other parent who will help They are coming in "kit" form. Loose withies I guess in about two weeks.

Having never made one, my question is has anyone any experience they can share or offer advice on the best way to go.

Any advice welcome,
Thanks chaps.

anguswillow3.jpg

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
as far as i'm aware its literally stick them in the ground and water them well there should instructions on the net though

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
the willow weaves quite well but remember to twist if you bend!
only tips i can give are dig them in deep about 8" and nick under the buds to promote growth of roots, when weaving the tops try not to point them downwards or for some reason the sap doesn't like to head downwards if you get what i mean, flat is fine as they'll shoot and grow towards the light but pointing down they'll die off.
having only helped with a fedge i'm afraid i can't comment on a dome though.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Dont plant them over pipes as they will break through pipes in their quest for water.

There are a couple in our school playground and if I remember right it was pretty straight forward.

As said before, plant to required depth, space evenly and twist to prevent breaking. Some accidents are inevitable though.

Have fun!!
Ness :)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
oh also check them after a few months, its easier to replace any dead ones in the beginning then trying to weave in a new one in an established plant ;)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
If you want it to live it'll need to be rooted into the ground, as for bending its the same as with hazel to stop it snapping you can twist it a little, fortunately willow is very supple so i doubt you'll have to do much twisting.
can i ask where your coppicing your willow from?

can i ask where your coppicing your willow from?

The school has ordered it from English Willow Baskets based in Somerset I think. I do a little gardening (tidying up, digging over, cutting dead foliage etc for the school now and then. The head mistress asked me if I would help build two domes for the childern, so I said yes, I have one other parent helping me but neither of us have made one before or are gardeners. I assume they would not be to difficult to make, more fiddly I would think so hence my request for advice.
Why the school use these I'm not sure, there may be some more local supplier, however, I think they have had used them before.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see how we get on :)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It is far easier than you could imaging. Forget the twisting, that is needed for tight bends but there are none in this kind of structure. If the ground is not rock hard then an angled cut on the bottom to give a rough point then push them in as far as you can, 6-8" is good. Presumably if it is a kit it will come with suggested layout diameter etc and weaving pattern.
Personally I am not a big fan of these structures. In theory it is great fun. In Practice they are an annual maintenance hassle and the big problem is they produce lots of growth up top and little near the ground so always look very gappy where you want them to be thick.

rancid badger

Robins right on the annual maintenance particularly!

We planted a load at Chopwell Wood, forest classroom,a few years back and they took very well indeed.

Unfortunately, they now have willow "sculptures":rolleyes: everywhere in the Classroom location and every year, they keep adding more, using the last years growth as the extension material.

They also trim and waste, hundreds of perfectly good wands too, all through "amateur over enthusiasm":(

It really is, very easy to do though, just mark out a circle and space your wands about 6 inches apart, at what ever angle suits, to give you the desired height of structure.

The FC ranger used plastic cable ties, to reinforce the cross points:nono:
Buy some sisal twine and just loosely tie the junctions, if you feel the need.

I think I've a few pictures somewhere, that might give an idea of how quick this stuff takes off, I'll have a look.

cheers

R.B.

kazinnature

Jun 9, 2008
Bedfordshire
The only things I can think to add is... if you are doing it on grass then you may want to put some weed control fabric down. Cut a piece a bit larger than the diameter of the dome to supress the grass as this depletes the soil of nitrogen which stunts the growth of the willow. Also when planting you can make the hole first with a stick then put the willow in the snuggly fitting hole and firm the soil around the base with your foot (gentley). This will ensure that the willow doesn't get damaged on it's way in. I love doing things like this, it's fun. I'm surprised you haven't got any of the kids helping you make it they really enjoy it.
Good Luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE