links page

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
can we have a page dedicated to the links described in the other sections as a kinda index to save trawling?

regards

ally x

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
ally - that's a hard one, the considerations for it are that it can take a lot of manpower to keep it up to date, transfer the links in, make sure none of them go dead etc Some sort of directory/index would have to be created so that people did not end up having to trawl through hundreds of URL's

A forum based links page is a huge project in itself.

Most URL's can be found by searching for the relevant subject in the search programme. It will give you a thread to brows and show up any links to the relevant subject.

bcuk also gets many requests for links to other sites, if we start putting some up we would have to spend loads of time explaining to people why we can't put their links up.

In the future this might be revised, but for now it's not going to happen :wink:

A

Anonymous

A links page is a good idea but i do agree that it will be alot of work. Having just recently been made aware of bushcraftuk i have discovered a whole load of new web sites in the uk which i didnt know existed despite relavent searches on certain subjects. I have found that by going through all the forum postings i have found at least 20 sites i havent found in nearly 2 years of searching the web for bushcraft information. I would suggest going through the forum indepth or else i could email you my list although i am sure it is by no means complete and at the moment i am looking for a new bushcraft knife so knives/knife making is the main topic of the pages i have found.
Happy hunting

Michael

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Anonymous said:
... at the moment i am looking for a new bushcraft knife so knives/knife making is the main topic of the pages i have found.

Over at British Blades there's a thread by Trond, one of the resident Noggin bladesmiths, about making blades in the style of the Alan Wood Woodlore knife - you could pick up one of these and finish it to your exact requirements

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I to would like to see a links page, though its going to be vast.
This site seems to be growing rapidly, so keeping track or all the threads and links therein is getting difficult, still a great re-read anyhow.
Guess your gonna have to do some archiving sooner or later.
And a big THANKS to all the crew for this site. You've done a fantastic job of putting this together. Its a great resource -nice one guys.
Cheers Rich

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Tony said:
ally - that's a hard one, the considerations for it are that it can take a lot of manpower to keep it up to date, transfer the links in, make sure none of them go dead etc Some sort of directory/index would have to be created so that people did not end up having to trawl through hundreds of URL's

Sorry, I just had to post this - been trying not to :roll:

It should be relatively straightforward to do this automatically:

1. Many urls are already enclosed in tags, making their detection trivial
  2. Once detected, copying to a central location is again trivial
  3. Checking that a link has not gone dead is as simple as writing a robot that checks each link regularly, and removing it if necessary - Mozilla has a facility for alerting you when a link has been updated, a harder task
  4. The directory/index is harder, though an initial suggestion is to index links according to which forum they came from. A better approach would be to use an automatic keyword-based classification scheme (there's been a lot of work done on this)

So why haven't I programmed this up yet? Err pressure of work, yeh that's it. But I could specify it as a student project, in which case there might be a prototype by September...

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Hi folks. I spoke to tony on the phone about this when I signed on as a forum mod. The reasons are many for not having a links page.

Using a app or bot of some sort will only get links from the forums.... and I quote tony
bcuk also gets many requests for links to other sites, if we start putting some up we would have to spend loads of time explaining to people why we can't put their links up.
This would take up loads of time and will just end up with companies signing up as users just to get there link in a post..... not to become part of the community :-(

Also we have a strict policy on dealer sales on the website and forums boards. So using a bot would be a problem finding out if the site is commercial or just an information site....

I suggest if you are looking for something, do a search in the forums, and if no luck, just ask. ooo and if you come accross any links you think people may be intereted in, post them in the Resources forum...... thats what it there for... where to get stuff and learn to do stuff ;-) though I have noticed alot of tips'n tricks in there aswell!!

Hope this clears things up a bit :)

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE