Lingo Differnces

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rlh2

Jan 8, 2013
Texas, USA
Hey guys! I'm a regular on Bushcraft USA, but new to Bushcraft UK. I've always known of the lingo differences between my Brit brothers & sisters and us "Yanks", but never knew that there were such in way of bushcraft terms. For instance I recently read a thread where someone was talking about a "bimble" (I think that's right). I had no idea what that was; I had to look it up. :)

My question is, are there any other words that come to mind that y'all use (y'all being a Texan word I use all the time) compared to us "colonials"? I'd love to hear 'em.

"Cheers"
Richard

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh dear - there must be thousands! :)
I could not hope to cover them all - especially the ones in Toddy's posts!:D

Oi! :rolleyes: says a (what are you ? Geordie ?) living in Wales :D

I'll have you know I only speak Scots online when I relax and feel at home .....like round you lot :D

rlh2, the UK is home to four countries and an enormous range of what were historically small kingdoms on most of the outlying island groups. Those on the mainland, from Galloway to Cornwall, each have their own language too, and that comes through in our speech.
Wiki says of Scots that, "There are a number of regional dialects of Scots, and pronunciation, grammar and lexis of the traditional forms differ, sometimes substantially, from other varieties of English."

Multiply that at least a dozen times across the UK and you'll get a flavour of the complexity that we kind of take for granted.

There is also the undeniable fact that English has the largest (and fastest growing) vocabulary of any language on the planet, and is probably the most widely understood, even though I think there are more people who speak Spanish and Chinese.

Scots don't bimble....we daun'er :D

cheers,
Toddy

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I love all the linguisitc differences on our island. Having quite a few American friends we're often laughing about them (and sometimes confusing each other), the friends say "we don't speak English, we speak American!". The old language that went over there with settlers from here grew and changed differently from us over here in the intervening hundreds of years, as does the pronounciation.

Toddy - ta for the "Scots don't bimble....we daun'er" - as some of the latest novel is set in the Highlands how should I pronounce "daun'er" ?

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
At the age of 70+ born and bred English, I'd never heard of "bimble" until I came on this site. As a child in the South of England, I used to go for a stroll on a recce to see what was about with my parents.

My son, aged three, playing toys cars with an American friend:
American boy, " Where's the gas truck?"
My son, "Here's your petrol lorry!"

Such linguistic flexibilty came in useful when we lived in the Bahamas for two years and spent 2 months travelling from Florida to California and back. My son, now 45, now travels the world for Oxfam and is comfortable with almost all dialects of English- including American!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
TODDY: Scots don't bimble....we daun'er :D

We also saun'er, go for a wee Stravaig, go stoatin' aboot. Och there's loads (wait 'till the fowk frae Furry Boots city get involved that'll confuse even the ither Scots - Pictish wierdos ;))

GB.

resnikov

Not bushcrafty but I have noticed our colonial brothers & sisters in USA and Australia try to use the slang word for a dogs testicals correctly as it can be both a good thing or a bad thing. I'm sure we also do just the same but I don’t know of any examples.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Scots don't bimble....we daun'er :D
..."

I usually go for a 'daunder', however I have been know to go for a 'raik' and after a particularly long one I often 'lamp'.

:)

daunder - To stroll, to saunter, to walk aimlessly, idly, or uncertainly, to wander.

raik - journey, a long or tiring walk. A journey, especially one to or fro over a fixed route for a specified purposed.

lamp - To limp, to walk in an awkward hobbling manner.

More here.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I love words, in all of their myriad complexity :D

You forgot hirple though......probably what Elin's doing just now though (get well soon :D)

Goatboy most of the Scots have Pictish roots....the Norse and Angles just merried in. The latest Irish diaspora are just doing the same.

I like a wee stravaig myself :D

M

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
"Good to go" is a phrase that sticks in my mind from when I first started working with Americans frequently. It means all set, ready for the off kind of thing. Also, they are much more polite than us Brits.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I love all the linguisitc differences on our island. Having quite a few American friends we're often laughing about them (and sometimes confusing each other), the friends say "we don't speak English, we speak American!". The old language that went over there with settlers from here grew and changed differently from us over here in the intervening hundreds of years, as does the pronounciation.

Toddy - ta for the "Scots don't bimble....we daun'er" - as some of the latest novel is set in the Highlands how should I pronounce "daun'er" ?

As in Donor kebab.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I love words, in all of their myriad complexity :D

You forgot hirple though......probably what Elin's doing just now though (get well soon :D)

Goatboy most of the Scots have Pictish roots....the Norse and Angles just merried in. The latest Irish diaspora are just doing the same.

I like a wee stravaig myself :D

M

I'm proud of the Pictish blood too and being East coast, but the loons and quines are a different breed I mean the call a fesh a fush for heavens sake :lmao:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I think the most surprising thing to our American cousins would be the difference in accent and "lingo" over such a short distance.
By short i mean a few miles and it changes. Quick example from here (chester) if I travel just 10 or 15 miles south east we have the Chester accent, the Northwales accent, cheshire accent a little further S/SE. Travel north and its a Birkenhead accent (7 miles) Just over the water about another 3 miles and its scouce (Liverpudlian) Go out the back of liverpool maybe another 5-10 miles and its Saint Helens and Wigan where it all changes again. Keep going maybe 35 miles from here and its Mancunian.

So that's all within about a 30 mile radius of where I live.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Hey guys! I'm a regular on Bushcraft USA, but new to Bushcraft UK. I've always known of the lingo differences between my Brit brothers & sisters and us "Yanks", but never knew that there were such in way of bushcraft terms. For instance I recently read a thread where someone was talking about a "bimble" (I think that's right). I had no idea what that was; I had to look it up. :)

My question is, are there any other words that come to mind that y'all use (y'all being a Texan word I use all the time) compared to us "colonials"? I'd love to hear 'em.

"Cheers"
Richard

Eyup mi'duck, welcome t'forum :)

Cheers,

Stuart

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't know if it's true but they say that modern Liverpuddlian is one of the accents that was brought about by industrial revolution. Due to smoggy conditions that there locals became clogged up and the dialect changed (as in the way Like is said, bunged up). It changed the Dundee accent too, amoungst the women first, working in the noisy jute mills the way they spoke to be heard/understood changed.
Same with Toddy, she's got what I would deem a nice older style Glasgow accent, whereas the young Glasgow folk sound totally different, especially in the "projects".
Fife can be pretty impenetrable as not only is it a collection of coal and fishing villages with their own little insular accents but till near the begining of the 19th century Flemish was seemingly as commonly spoken on the coast as English.

Pacman01

Mar 13, 2010
Ireland
It's just that in Derry/Londonderry (where I came from) there were a lot of Glaswegian immigrants from the time the Linen industry was booming there (in 1870's the not the 1970's, different kind of 'booming' :) ). Anyway there 'Raik' means 'loads of', as in 'There's a raik a' apples up in that orchard and nobody's watching them'.

We have 'wains' too instead of bairns. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE