Planning Lightening my load

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I'm planning an overnighter in two weeks time. My last one I was carrying my normal stuff and got to thinking I should have a go at going light or ultralight. Just to see how it goes. I've not got any fancy UL titanium or such like. I will just scale everything down as best I can. Here's what I intend to take, everyone's thoughts would be appreciated...

20 ltr eurohike day pack
1 ltr waterbottle
Jetboil
British army jungle sleeping bag
Snugpak SF Bivi Bag
3/4 self inflating roll mat
Jerven original
Victorinox Rangergrip 78
Down jacket
Wool hat
Gloves
Head torch
Thermal top n bottoms
Food - coffee, dried pasta meal, easyoats
Water filter
Small first aid kit

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Hey van wild don't forget a lightweight emergency blanket. Apart from a basic first aid kit and some nuts and raisins or trail bars/chocolate /biscuits if like me you fancy a nibble now and then I'd say you should have no trouble for a one nighter with that lot. I think we tend to take far too much gear nowadays. I know I do! I'm paring my kit down too. Have fun!

Reactions: Van-Wild and Janne

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Hey van wild don't forget a lightweight emergency blanket. Apart from a basic first aid kit and some nuts and raisins or trail bars/chocolate /biscuits if like me you fancy a nibble now and then I'd say you should have no trouble for a one nighter with that lot. I think we tend to take far too much gear nowadays. I know I do! I'm paring my kit down too. Have fun!
Oh yes, trail mix. Good idea! My personal favorite mixture is dark chocolate buttons, pecans, dried cherry and raisins. I buy all of them separately in £1 bags then chuck em all in together in a zip lock. Not very UL

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Ditch the headlamp. It only makes you lose the night vision.
You forgot loo paper! Very important!

Also, what are your plans for the Snugpak and Jerven?
Yes but a torch is essential safety equipment. As is loo roll. Sometimes essential together! I have a small med kit (original post edited....) as well.

Snugpak Bivi Bag over the sleeping bag and roll mat. Jerven as a tarp/waterproof jacket if required.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm planning a lightweight two nighter in a coastal location in a few weeks time when it's a wee bit warmer. I don't have a bivvy, so I just plan to use a tarp mat down bag pocket rocket and an msr pan. I also have a large clear plastic bag that I will slit down the side and make a large groundsheet that is big enough to go over the top of me as well if I need further protection from the elements. Insulation from the ground is important and I will also take a winter windscreen protector made of reflective stuff (can't think of its name.)which will go under the mat to help reflect warmth back to me. (Poundland special ) which weighs nothing and takes little room in the pack if you are not to preciouse with it, and at a pound a pop you realy don't have to be. After that it's matches mug spork bowl toothbrush and paste wet muslin cloth in ziplock to refresh bits that need a wipe down pocket first aid food water and headlamp. Sorry Janne sometimes you need a light!. No sense in breaking an ankle at 3 am for a call of nature or heaven forbid camp evacuation for some reason. (Ie realy bad weather or zombie werewolves):)

Reactions: Van-Wild

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Seems a good list. The only real difference between your stuff and fancy UL gear is you'd be getting more for less, down bag would be warmer for the same weight as the jungle bag ECT

You've got the difficult part done already which is simply volume of stuff.
True UL is over rated imo. Tried it and a small increase in weight give a massive increase in comfort and or durability of your gear.

Most ultralighters seem to go through a process of light as possible then settle on simply being 'lightweight'

Reactions: Erbswurst

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
@sunndog I would certainly like a down sleeping bag but they're very expensive. But I agree, a decrease in volume will probably see my weight halve.

Reactions: MrEd

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Dispense with the thermal extras and just keep your clothes on, a quick brush down and into bed!

A ‘trick’ I’ve been using lately for my terribly cold feet is to take my pcs thermal smock and stuff it down the sleeping bag and around my feet for the night....then come morning I have a pre warmed jacket to sit up in....but stay 3/4 still in the bag and enjoy a morning brew and the surroundings.

Reactions: MrEd and Woody girl

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Wet wipes instead of lo roll, then can be used for other things. Not one for head torches would rather be asleep when dark and up first light to enjoy the day. Just take a little more extra food you won’t be carrying for long and it’s there if needed.

Reactions: oldtimer

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Wet wipes are incredibly handy and a fantastic solution to the problems of hygiene in the wild. But my personal view is that they are not realy nessasary for an overnighter. As I said a damp muslin in a ziplock is just as effective, More ecco friendly,and you are not putting plastics into the environment, as they do have to be disposed of at some point. I know it's a contentious issue for some but it needn't be. I simply ask how did we cope before wet wipes?
I have issues with plastic as it gets into everything, even prawns in the Antarctic have been found to have plastic in them. If there is an alternative we should use it and I'd like to encourage others to follow suite.
A muslin cloth costs a few pence in home bargains is reusable and can be composted at the end of its life. Win Win.
Yes you might point out the plastic ziplock bag and I am willing to take alternative suggestions.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Weird to write about about after-toilet habits on the WWW, but as everybody does it......
We should not be prude about these important matters.

After defecation, dry toilet paper is best and easily decomposable in nature.
If you have the need to do a wet cleaning after, I think a good quality kitchen paper, folded into handy, easily unfolded, squares and kept wet in a ziplock bag is the best.
One use only so hygienic, decomposable.

Dad had some problems so needed to wet clean himself and used this method once the kitchen papers became available in mid 60’s.

Before that he had wet surgical gauze in a plastic bag. One use, then throw away.

Of course, ladies hygiene differs somewhat from a guys, after a ‘number one’ so I fully understand.

Reactions: Ruud and Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I think we are a bit in danger of going way off thread here! Perhaps there should be a different thread. Sorry my fault as I get a bit passionate as soon as wet wipes get mentioned.... !:aarghh:
So what was the subject again ?....? :D

Reactions: ScottE

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Did not Janis Joplin like Southern Comfort a lot?

I think the OPs list of stuff is excellent, apart from the headlamp, wettish wipes and a bottle of tranquliser so I am sure if he is ok if we divert.
:)

His clothes list is slightly confusing though. Thermal bottom, but no underwear and socks?

Why thermal bottom?
Jacket to wear, a warm jumper in pack of some sort if it gets cold.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Not about hygiene.
I always pack a spare pair of socks, in case my feet get wet.
Old habits, taught by dad.

Wet socks can cause blisters walking just a few kilometers.

I find my feet get colder wearing socks while sleeping, than if I just put a spare clothes under them (inside the bag) .

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
No spare socks or underwear because I wear wool socks. At night I take them off, rub them up and put them back on inside out. At night, the thermal long john's take the place of the days underwear, which are under-armour antibacterial.

I don't wash when I'm out overnight other than brushing my teeth morning and evening. I have been known to not wash for over a week, other than a splash of water here and there. I don't use wet wipes I use a small bar of soap and a sweat rag as a cloth.

Remember Janne, everybody does things slightly differently. My way of doing things is only right for me. It doesn't need to be right for you......

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody girl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE