Light sticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

norfolkjohn

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2010
norwich norfolk
HI,light stick's as an emergency back up,am thinking of carrying these in my emergency kit.
has anyone used these, if so the best way to dispose of once used
in an eco friendly way ?

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i use them can get them cheap sometimes in wilkis (summer) the white ones are good but dont tend to last as long as the other colours i use them in my laavu to read by when my son is asleep as the lantern keeps him awake :-D in respect to disposal they are plastic and chemical so it tends to be landfill unfortunately i cant see any other option for them?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i give all the kids one when we go camping,...they seem comforted by the glow as they nod off reading or whatever,

its a good alternative to them falling asleep with the torch on and wasting batteries,..

a note on disposal,...

a drunken moment with the grown ups trying to simulate "predators blood" with a green one ,...

i peirced the tube with an Ontario RAT3 and the next morning the black coating on the blade had bubbled off!! so its probably not wise,...hhahaa

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i give all the kids one when we go camping,...they seem comforted by the glow as they nod off reading or whatever,

its a good alternative to them falling asleep with the torch on and wasting batteries,..

a note on disposal,...

a drunken moment with the grown ups trying to simulate "predators blood" with a green one ,...

i peirced the tube with an Ontario RAT3 and the next morning the black coating on the blade had bubbled off!! so its probably not wise,...hhahaa

i once did something similar at a house party in a bathroom, needless to say the place was glowing and i got in trouble lol

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i once did something similar at a house party in a bathroom, needless to say the place was glowing and i got in trouble lol

funny tho int it??

it ruined the top i had on too,...

running around drunk and half naked in the dark pretending to be a wounded alien did not go down well with our caravan and camping club stewards!! hahaha

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
funny tho int it??

it ruined the top i had on too,...

running around drunk and half naked in the dark pretending to be a wounded alien did not go down well with our caravan and camping club stewards!! hahaha

it was bloody hilarious till the next day lol, it was hard to clean aswell eventually i just left the bits i couldnt do and they faded out of sight :D

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I use them on my tarp when I'm off with a group. As a snorer, they tend to push me out to the edges of the camp. So before dark, set one off and when it's time to bed down, I can find my set up.

I also carry them as part of my emergency kit, walking and in my Landy. One gently waved in the dark should be able to been seen from some distance by helicopter.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
In Iraq we had a errrr......Were having a fight with them during a show. And we all got covered in many different colours and it was some sight seeing hundreds of these flying in the air in all different directions. Great fun :)..The chemicals will not hurt you and they wash out with no problem. I have even heard of lads drinking them to see themself peeing in the dark .

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
RE: predators blood, i believe they just used the standard green one with corn syrup added for a thickening agent.
glowsticks, allways handy for amateur film makers who are making a dodgy sci-fi movie ;)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
They make good Christmas lights for the tent too...

X6_julie_prettylights.jpg

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
if you want to use them as an emergency "strobe" as it where for signaling heli's, tape a piece of corgade with nots tied into it for grip 3/4 the way down, make sure its secure, when needed just crack of off, then swing around in the air or by your side.......

this wizzing glow stick forms a light disc the length of the cordage thats swinging, no chance your going to miss that at night, and it wont break or the betteries die just when you need it.....

also the "filling" of them is oil so thats why its hard to get out of things, a good wash with detergent should remove most of it though........and yes i was one of those ideots who drank it, by the time it passed through my body i was to drunk to notice any change.......lol......

i dont recammend you drink the stuff though as the vile you brake inside is glass...............

regards

chris...........

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like the idea of them, still have a couple of dozen Cyalume/Omiglow in my prep box, but I'm always dissapointed with their performance. You have to carry them in, use them, carry them out, it all seems a bit pointless. My little grandson likes the '20 for a quid' ones from poundland though :)

I don't need to rely on my 'night vision' so I go more for the gentle light of a hurricane lantern, or the full on light of a Vapalux or LED torch/head torch.

ashes1627

Nomad
Nov 13, 2010
North Walsham, Norfolk
Poundland sell them in 3's, i bought some and they are great. They are bright and last for a good amount of time. They call them "mini light sticks", although they are about 6 inches tall and 1/2 an inch wide.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i must admit i do always carry some with me, its just good to hang one from your tarp at night, helps you find your way back to it when you've had a fair bit of whiskey and had to go relieve yourself in the middle of the night :D

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex

At uni, one of the chaps was a bit... gullible. Each of our hi-tech uni rooms had a shower and toilet pod. The toilet cistern was accessible from the communal hallway if you used a special key, or as I found, the end of one of my spoons. We settled with red food dye and washing up liquid and the gent was convinced his toilet was possessed.

Now I realise I missed a trick here... Glowing water would have probably finished him off...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE