Leatherman Signal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Seems a bit expensive compared to something like the Wave which has more tools, including two blades (one serrated) as well as the wood/metal file. The Wave costs around $80 while this new Signal is set around $120. As for the ferro rod, when it's all used up how will it be replaced? If Leatherman are gonna sell replacement ferro rods, then you're limited in where you can purchase it from, as opposed to just getting a new ferro rod from anywhere. At first impression it just doesn't seem well though out...

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
It is nice that they are starting to think along those lines but who the hell are those outdoors experts they consulted with and did they really take on board what was said?

I'll stick to my PTS and Surge models until they get it right. ;)

Rob.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
if i would need a hammer in a survival situation i would grab a rock...

pretty much my thinking at the start then I got to thinking about the whistle and ferro rod, both of which strike me as "for use as a last resort" items (given that you have to open the tool to access them and are therefore less accessible if you are injured or suffering from cold and could be easily lost (size factor) ).
I liked the Karibena part but thought the "added function" of bottle opener was redundant, the body of either of my Leathermans can do that as can a bic lighter or a folded up bit of paper or a stick, you just use your thumb as the fulcrum. As my previous post the "experts" were either numpties or not listened to. Huge shame as I will only buy Leatherman Multitools as the ones I own have never let me down in use for either work or leisure, sad git that I am;).

Rob.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Can see who they have designed it for but it's certainly not the serious Leatherman users- the guys who just get on with things! I will be sticking to my Surge- not the lightest tool on the market but tough as nails (tougher actually...) and plenty of nice features with nothing you don't need. The hammer function? Wouldn't have any concerns about using mine for this at a push.

On another note having compared my Leatherman side by side with a Gerber I don't know why anyone would buy a Gerber- they just feel like cheap flimsy tools compared to Leatherman

It is nice that they are starting to think along those lines but who the hell are those outdoors experts they consulted with and did they really take on board what was said?

I remember getting my PST as a present back in the 90's. I was horrified because I was "stuck" with wearing it. But, I soon found many uses for it from fixing lots of computers to making fuzzies for lighting fires - and so the only times it's been off my belt since was for plane travel. I've actually used all of the limited tools on the PST many times so their use to me is undeniable.
A little while back I decided to go looking at possible replacements, despite the original tool still being fine. What I was looking for was the same tool functions in something lighter than the 4 ounces - titanium perhaps, and with a better grade of steel in the blade.

I'm still looking and open to suggestions.. Apparently multi-tools didn't evolve as I expected - tougher, even lighter, no detachable bits to fall off...

With the Signal I'm wondering how much research they put into the whistle/ferro rod. Adding those sounds easy but isn't. I once tried a lot of whistles and found that the effective ones like the Storm are bulky. Compact ones which warble at high pitch can be effective predator calls which is a disadvantage in bear country. Anyone can use a small ferro rod in summer with training. Results are much less satisfactory without training or in poor conditions. I'm not seeing how a person can practise unless the rod is replaceable. Many years ago when cheaper magnesium blocks had the ferro rod stuck on with glue - we all found that the rods fell off...

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I will be sticking to my Surge- not the lightest tool on the market but tough as nails (tougher actually...) and plenty of nice features with nothing you don't need. The hammer function? Wouldn't have any concerns about using mine for this at a push.

Yep I've actually done so with no ill effect on the tool. On the weight issue, I find it funny that most of the people that complain about the weight of the Surge on their belt also carry a sidearm ( 9mm Glock or some such ) which has far less usefulness in day to day situations. :dunno:

On another note having compared my Leatherman side by side with a Gerber I don't know why anyone would buy a Gerber- they just feel like cheap flimsy tools compared to Leatherman

My brother in law was issued Gerbers at his work, he got through several of them, my PST still works even with the odd battlescar. My biggest issue, though with the Gerber brand, now is their affiliation with someone who I said could cause fatalities by people emulating the " how to do/survive a situation" was portrayed. a google search will find at least two occasions where this was a "likely factor".

I remember getting my PST as a present back in the 90's. I was horrified because I was "stuck" with wearing it. But, I soon found many uses for it from fixing lots of computers to making fuzzies for lighting fires - and so the only times it's been off my belt since was for plane travel. I've actually used all of the limited tools on the PST many times so their use to me is undeniable.
Anyone can use a small ferro rod in summer with training. Results are much less satisfactory without training or in poor conditions. I'm not seeing how a person can practise unless the rod is replaceable. Many years ago when cheaper magnesium blocks had the ferro rod stuck on with glue - we all found that the rods fell off...

My PST saw daily use in olive groves, building sites and the occasional pub (fixing beer pumps or the sump pump in the cellar that was ankle deep in ground water) the addition of the screwdriver holder that locks in between the handles was so useful that I bought the one for the Surge despite having the bit selection kit to suit the Surge's built in holder.( with another adaptor bit I can also use quarter inch drive sockets, that has saved me time both on and off jobsites) .
I think I have better solutions for the ferro rod, whistle and file on the Signal but I am not an expert so doubt that they would listen.
Rob.

On the weight issue, I find it funny that most of the people that
complain about the weight of the Surge on their belt also carry a sidearm ( 9mm
Glock or some such ) which has far less usefulness in day to day
situations.

And the first thing on getting home is to lock up the gun and get off the duty
belt with the handcuffs and stuff, because they sure weigh a lot - as with any
other tool belt. The whole point of the multi-tool is that it's always with you:
so size weight and utility really matter. When big multi-tools came out I
borrowed a Wave and tried it for a week - which is good because I found it too
heavy and bulky for my uses.

A while back I decided to add another item to my belt - a flashlight. I have a
lot at home and in the vehicle, but I had an encounter while taking out garbage
at night when I'd forgotten to pick one up, and then didn't bother going back
for it. At first making a choice seemed simple - just get the best and smallest
AAA cell LED. Knowing myself, though, I know that if I have a flashlight on my
belt, I'll probably omit the one in my pack or some other foolishness. So I got
an AA Fenix LD10, which has far longer runtimes and a more powerful high setting
for spotting eyes at night. Some headstrap kits in the vehicle and at home and
it can be a headlamp for anything other than jogging. All in all it's worked
well and gets far more use than I would have imagined. Everything comes down to
the fact that I had to buy one and carry/use it all the time for quite a period
before I was sure that it was worth carrying constantly, and that I would.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Agree with you there Jim. I carry a Fenix E15 because it is light enough to have on me morning to night. I have a knife, lighter and Leatherman Micra for the same reasons. A wave? No. If I need pliers, I will take my Charge, but beyond that, its a dedicated tool, be it fence pliers, bolt croppers or needle nose.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Weight is an issue, yes. My not so light Super Tool has been around Europe on holiday trips, but at home it's lives in the kitchen acting as a mini toolbox when I'm too lazy to go downstairs to my workshop...

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Fail. Can't stand serrated blades unless there's another that isn't.

Not a fan either, in fact I dislike that there are two blades on most Leatherman tools, I'd rather have an awl or something else instead.

I've looked at the Signal and it isn't for me, I dislike having a fire-flash integrated into the tool. I will stick with my Wave which although not perfect has yet to be bettered (IMHO).

There is a Leatherman nylon sheath for the Wave and similar tools which provides elasticated slots which would allow you to carry a proper fire-flash, mini torch or other useful odds 'n' ends if you were so inclined.

P2240001.JPG

P2240002.JPG

This pouch also allows you to holster the tool when it is fully open, handy if you are working with your pliers or cutters at height.

:)

Last edited:
Not a fan either, in fact I dislike that there are two blades on most Leatherman tools, I'd rather have an awl or something else instead.

I've looked at the Signal and it isn't for me, I dislike having a fire-flash integrated into the tool. I will stick with my Wave which although not perfect has yet to be bettered (IMHO).

There is a Leatherman nylon sheath for the Wave and similar tools which provides elasticated slots which would allow you to carry a proper fire-flash, mini torch or other useful odds 'n' ends if you were so inclined.

P2240001.JPG

P2240002.JPG

This pouch also allows you to holster the tool when it is fully open, handy if you are working with your pliers or cutters at height.

:)

how wide is the strap to attach it to the belt?! my supertool (=the original, not longer made version!) lives together with a victorinox screwdriver (bit) set, 3concrete nails(=as punches) and a piece of hacksaw blade in a victorinox pouch on my webbing belt, but the rivets holding the belt strap are rusting(frankly spoken i'm NOT satisfied with the quality of the pouch!) so i'm looking for a replacement...

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Bought this magazine pouch for my classic Super Tool:

leatherman_super_tool_holster.jpg

Llittle/no place for other stuff, though, but how about a two mag version?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE