Leather Water bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
We have here a Pint leather water bottle in the Mary Rose Style. Two rows of hand stitching for strength and security. Beeswax hardened and lined so that it doesn't leak :) and a hand turned oak stopper.
£45 posted SOLD
mrbottle.jpg

I accept Paypal

SOLD
Bardster
crafts.probetech.co.uk

Wayland

Hárbarðr
MagiKelly said:
I am interested in how it is lined as well. I would want to use something like that but would be worried about how long it would put up with the abuse.

John. you saw the one I had at the Scotish meet. That was from Bardster, we know each other from re-enactment circles.

I've had that for quite a while now and not had to give it any attention. I'm told that if it does leak a quick swill round with hot water usually sorts it out by melting some of the wax.

I traded for mine because the workmanship was beyond anything I could have made myself.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
It certainly looks to be beautifully made, and I would guess that it's at least as tough as a glass/ceramic bottle, and probably more.
I've always wanted one.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Very nice.
Bardster also does some very nice looking possibles pouches I'm getting one done after christmas.

If your into archery check out his quivers they are beautiful!
His site: www.crafts.probetech.co.uk

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Wow - Thanks for the complements!
In answer to your questions I line my bottles with beesway. Its fairly easy to do and easy to repair if it does crack - and also gives the water a slight sweetish/honey taste. Besswax is not affected by any cold liquid as far as I am aware - though fizzy stuff like cola should be avoided. I personally do not like working with tar/brewers pitch. I find that it can taint flavours and is harder to repair by the end user.
I have used my own bottle for a number of years now and its a bit bashed and battered but doesnt leak, it has been sat/laid on a few times, as I have died in battle. :) Certainly a lot tougher than glass or ceramic!

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
PM sent incase Eric changes his mind :rolleyes: i knew i should have checked the posts last night before going to bed lol

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
morch said:
PM sent incase Eric changes his mind :rolleyes: i knew i should have checked the posts last night before going to bed lol

Thats the only Mary rose Version I made but I can make more if required. However I still have some left of the 1 litre standard version. without a pattern though patterned ones are available on commission.
bottle%20celtic%201.jpg

I also have some smaller 16oz ones in standard.
bottle16oz.jpg

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
MagiKelly said:
What price are the 1 litre standard? The larges size may be more useful to me than a 1 pint one.

Because they only have a single Line of stitching they are a bit quicker to make so Will sell those at £50.
I have found that a single line of stitching is adequate. The double line was only used to copy the Mary Rose design more accurately.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
theres somefantastic looking pieces of work there Bardster.

ur a true craftsman.

the 16oz'er is excellent.

am very interested....how much u sellin em for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE