Leather box problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Been busily making things out of leather for almost a year now... but I'm having a problem that my books don't seem to cover.

In the main I've been using Al Stohlman's books on case making and I've attempted stitching leather boxes. The books recommend mitering the edges to a 45 degree angle so the edges align and using a wooden former to make stitching easier... but my issue is the mitering.

With wood work I can use the circular saw or even a router to get a mitred edge, but with leather I'm using either a round knife or a skiver and I can't get the angles right.

Is this a practise makes perfect thing or is there an easy way to ensure a relatively accurate mitred edge?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've used this type of ruler in the past for cutting bevels on leather

s-l500.jpg

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I think I read the leather.net thread because I tried to make a wooden jig as it recommends there and it became a bit messy.

The French skive looks like an open sided version of what I'm using at the moment, but it well worth a try.

The ruler looks like an interesting option though... is one of it's sides at 45 degrees? Certainly a safer way than the methods I've been using.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've a lot of time for the miniature razor planes that they sell in the better sort of model shop. Since I'm completely cack handed I use a couple of steel rulers, clamped with the leather between them and the top ruler set back the thickness of the leather so you can only remove a 45 degree angled section. I got mine to work balsa but they do fine on leather. some like the David need special razor blades but I've others that just take the old safety razor sort which are peanuts on carboots etc. you can still buy them new but they tend to be overpriced in Boots etc.

ATB

Tom

Clas Ohlson sell a version but a bit pricy

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Trimming-Plane/20-1728

A overview of them, not exhaustive but better than I can do!

https://jeffpeachey.com/2011/08/17/razor-blade-planes-an-overview/

Last edited:

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
Hi Dewi,
If you call in to an art shop they sell a tool that makes a perfect 45 degree bevel for display boards used as the border to frame artwork, watercolours etc. prior to framing behind glass. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE