Leather Bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Another leather bottle - this time of an older style. Again double stitched and wax sealed. Holds a litre of liquid.

large bottle.jpg

£50 SOLD

Accept paypal (but not via credit card), cash or cheque

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
PM sent.
That's exactly the way I've always thought of them. Must have seen that kind of design in a book as a kid. :)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Pony express made it through with the goods. :)

Cracking workmanship. Great size. Lighter than I expected.
The waxing process sure does stiffen up the leather. It feels pretty bulletproof.

Still can't remember where I've seen the design. Tintin or Asterix I'll bet. :p

Cheers Bardster.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I saw it but didn't really look at it, if you know what I mean.
You know what it's like - meeting loads of folk for the first time, tons going on. Didn't want to randomly pick things up and start smacking knuckles off them and squeezing experimentaly.
But this is and old niggling memory.....

Good old Asterix. Now I'm off wondering if a wee spherical version would work for magic potion(Jura) or if the alcohol would be affected by the wax/leather.
Better ask the bard. I imagine he'll have tried it. :)
panoramix.gif

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Grooveski said:
I saw it but didn't really look at it, if you know what I mean.
You know what it's like - meeting loads of folk for the first time, tons going on. Didn't want to randomly pick things up and start smacking knuckles off them and squeezing experimentaly.
But this is and old niggling memory.....

Good old Asterix. Now I'm off wondering if a wee spherical version would work for magic potion(Jura) or if the alcohol would be affected by the wax/leather.
Better ask the bard. I imagine he'll have tried it. :)
panoramix.gif

Yup - have indeed :D made a couple of small potion sized ones - bit more difficult to get the cooking time right - first few attempts shrivelled like a cold mans sack....
The alcohol shouldn't come into direct contact with the leather so should get no taint from it. The wax may impart a slight taste of honey - which for a whisky/honey/herb liquer will not be a problem :D

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Just found this, that's great looking bottle Bard, any chance of a quick tutorial on the waxing process - I don't even know what you mean by 'Cooking' it let alone how to get it right! :eek:

I don't want to do you out of your trade but I've done a little bit of leatherwork and I'd be very interested!

Thanks,

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Big John said:
Just found this, that's great looking bottle Bard, any chance of a quick tutorial on the waxing process - I don't even know what you mean by 'Cooking' it let alone how to get it right! :eek:

I don't want to do you out of your trade but I've done a little bit of leatherwork and I'd be very interested!

Thanks,

No worries. I have a few on the go at the moment but its not as if i am trying to make a living from them :)
Here the site that originally got me started. http://www.geocities.com/ladysveva/Leather/BottleInstructions.html
I have adapted it to my own style and methods but its essentially the same. I use beeswax rather than brewers pitch for example.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
That's great thanks Bard. Reading the link it all sounds a bit messy and hit or miss, before reading it I was thinking:

Cut the leather, soak it and form each side over a pattern for shape. Dry, coat the inside with wax, then sew. Then you just need to coat the seams from the inside once its's complete, saving all that filling with sand and trying to empty it, then guessing if it's all coated properly and melting it back out again 'cos you put too much in.

Am I over-simplifying it?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Big John said:
That's great thanks Bard. Reading the link it all sounds a bit messy and hit or miss, before reading it I was thinking:

Cut the leather, soak it and form each side over a pattern for shape. Dry, coat the inside with wax, then sew. Then you just need to coat the seams from the inside once its's complete, saving all that filling with sand and trying to empty it, then guessing if it's all coated properly and melting it back out again 'cos you put too much in.

Am I over-simplifying it?

no that would work - all though you would need to add an extra step - the leather would need hardening, which i do by dipping the whole thing in molten wax for 30 seconds. can also be done in hot water - its a process called cuir boillie (sp) makes the leather hard as steel :)

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Thanks Bard, I've not heard of that before. It would seem to be the process used for making leather armour and I've found a number of websites detailing different ways of doing it.

I'll give it a go when I get the chance and see what happens.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Really nice kit Bardster :notworthy
One of your earlier comments brought something to mind; d'you think the cuire boillie method would stiffen up a bladder pouch enough that it wouldn't squirt it's bung out if it gets leant upon? I'm thinking bladder and stomach bags for neolithic/Bronze age stuff. Is boiling liquid in them, using hot stones, enough to cook them too......or does it only work on tanned/cured leather? I like the idea of using hot beeswax, smells wonderful :) , but could it be done using stuff like hot oil...beechnut for instance?
Incidentally we waterproof the soles of our courrans by putting a chunk of beeswax in them and popping them into the oven for ten minutes. The wax melts and soaks across the shoe, leaving it stiffer but still flexible.

Cheers,
Toddy

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Toddy said:
Really nice kit Bardster :notworthy
One of your earlier comments brought something to mind; d'you think the cuire boillie method would stiffen up a bladder pouch enough that it wouldn't squirt it's bung out if it gets leant upon? I'm thinking bladder and stomach bags for neolithic/Bronze age stuff. Is boiling liquid in them, using hot stones, enough to cook them too......or does it only work on tanned/cured leather? I like the idea of using hot beeswax, smells wonderful :) , but could it be done using stuff like hot oil...beechnut for instance?
Incidentally we waterproof the soles of our courrans by putting a chunk of beeswax in them and popping them into the oven for ten minutes. The wax melts and soaks across the shoe, leaving it stiffer but still flexible.

Cheers,
Toddy

I am not really sure - the only stuff I am aware of that it works with is veg tanned leather. It doesnt work with chrome tan for example. Not sure how it would work with bladder or stomach. work experimenting with a small offcut perhaps.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
This one started leaking slightly from the bottom stitching at the weekend so....

Just splash some hot water around in it or would it be better to do a quick dip? I've got plenty of wax.

Which reminds me, does dipping leather affect the wax. My mate has a load of wax that needs it's final refining and I figured that'd be a good time to have a play around. I wouldn't want to accidently dye all his beeswax though. :eek:

Need to have a play. I think three of these are required;
A 2 litre like Wayland's for water at camp,
a 1/2 litre for carrying around,
and one for a weekend's magic potion(this one'll do nicely :) ).

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Grooveski said:
This one started leaking slightly from the bottom stitching at the weekend so....

Just splash some hot water around in it or would it be better to do a quick dip? I've got plenty of wax.

Which reminds me, does dipping leather affect the wax. My mate has a load of wax that needs it's final refining and I figured that'd be a good time to have a play around. I wouldn't want to accidently dye all his beeswax though. :eek:

Need to have a play. I think three of these are required;
A 2 litre like Wayland's for water at camp,
a 1/2 litre for carrying around,
and one for a weekend's magic potion(this one'll do nicely :) ).

sorry to hear about the leak so soon :( best thing is not to dip it . Just melt a small block of wax - maybe about 5 tablespoons worth or so - pour it in and slosh it round - concentrate on rolling the liquid wax along the seam. it will set and leave a nice leakfree coating on the inside.

If you make your own then yes it does affect the wax - my 3 gallons is dark brown now - and has about an inch of sludge in the bottom :) everynow and then i turn the set cake upside down and scrape off all the leather dust sludge :)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
No fear Bardster ;) . The leak is very slight and will soon be history. I'm well chuffed with the bottle and always kind of expected it to need some mild form of maintenance. I probably gave it a dunt at some point, it worked fine before.

I'm just glad it happened here and not in the back of beyond with it full of precious elixer. If it did happen away I usualy have a wee lump of wax for strings so in a way it's good that now I know what to do with it.
Thanks for the info on dying the wax too. That would have been embarressing :rolleyes: . I'll just have to get first shout at some of the wax when it's processed. A bit of colour wouldn't bother me for any of the other stuff I would use it for afterwards.

For folk who haven't had a prod at one of these, the leather is like kevlar(well, it's not, but it's harder than most plastics). It's rigid even when it's been full of water hanging from a tree in the rain. It's brilliant :) .

While we're all picking your brains Bard:
What kind of size/shape/material is your favorate sand-prodder, or is it one of those things where you end up with an assortment?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Grooveski said:
No fear Bardster ;) . The leak is very slight and will soon be history. I'm well chuffed with the bottle and always kind of expected it to need some mild form of maintenance. I probably gave it a dunt at some point, it worked fine before.

I'm just glad it happened here and not in the back of beyond with it full of precious elixer. If it did happen away I usualy have a wee lump of wax for strings so in a way it's good that now I know what to do with it.
Thanks for the info on dying the wax too. That would have been embarressing :rolleyes: . I'll just have to get first shout at some of the wax when it's processed. A bit of colour wouldn't bother me for any of the other stuff I would use it for afterwards.

For folk who haven't had a prod at one of these, the leather is like kevlar(well, it's not, but it's harder than most plastics). It's rigid even when it's been full of water hanging from a tree in the rain. It's brilliant :) .

While we're all picking your brains Bard:
What kind of size/shape/material is your favorate sand-prodder, or is it one of those things where you end up with an assortment?

def an assortment :D anyting from an old arrow shaft up to a length of broom handle. wooden spoon handles work well too, although too short for most bottles. I turned a beech spurtle on the lathe once and that too occaisonally gets used :) The thing to remember is use childrens sand - it flow like water, and a small funnel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE