L.E.D Torch Help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, My NiteCore Extreme Cree R2 torch just died.
So please let me know if you know of any good torch's that take CR123 Batt's and are over 200 lumens with long battery and Bulb life for Under £100.00 if possible I'm not bothered about the make, but preferably 25mill len's diameter and 1 or 2 batt's.
cheer's

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
That is such a wide set of requirements that practically the entire PD range from Fenix could fall within it. Depending on what your consider long battery life.

https://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches/PD-Series/13690-Fenix-PD35-V2.0.html#Features

I am a great fan of Fenix, I have a PD30, PD25, LD09 and HL50.

OLight are also good, I have one of their Ti Baton's but cute as it is, I like my Fenix for carrying better. I prefer tail switch only operation, rather than the newer tail and side switch, but they all work. Just what I have become used to.

Chris

Reactions: Prophecy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Usage? This is important when choosing. Do you need to see the dog across the other side of the field? ie: a torch with throw. Or do you want to flood an area with light, like a camp or tent. If the light is for outdoor or woodland use, you might prefer a warm led to a cool white so it renders colours more accurately. Or, a bit of both, tight central hotspot and good sideways spill? There are near endless possibilities out there for you, you’ll need to tie down your wants.

I’m with Chris on Olight, I think they’re on top of the game at the moment. Other manufacturers producing good quality lights are Eagletac and Zebralight. Zebralight s might offer you more options and light levels than you’ll need and take a bit of getting used to, but once you’ve learned then there’s no going back, very versatile.

I’ve never had a Fenix for some reason, though I know people rate them highly.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm thinking of getting the ''Fenix TK16'' any owner's / user's of this torch out there with thought's on this choice?.

Doubling up CR123a batteries seems daft to me, I use them because they’re compact and easy in the pocket. I have several torches that are the size of the TK16, but run on a single 18650. I’d look for something that takes a single CR123 with different power levels so the battery isn’t running flat out giving more light than needed.

Having owned the Nitecore Extreme myself, you’ll know about power ramping. I’m pleased yours lasted this long to be honest, I remember that utter “Wow!” moment when I put it on high mode. Drivers and LEDs have come on a long way since then, 2008. These days you’ll get as much light for far longer with the new LEDs and drivers, and a proper EDC torch. Have a look at Eagletac CR123 types, and again, Olight. That TK16 is pricy for what you’re getting IMO.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My current EDC is the S1R Baton 2. Drops onto a very simple magnetic usb charger using the special Olight battery in it, but will take standard CR123a batteries too but obviously don’t be trying to charge them. Chucks around a 1000 lumens on high, simple side switch with lockout mode to prevent accidental activation in pocket or bag. Beam is pretty floody, but due to the lumen output, it’s good for a bit of distance too.

https://olightworld.com/olight-s1rii-baton

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I've just brought a FENIX PD25 with a Red filter as at that price I haven't seen another that seem's to do all of the thing's that this 1 does for the price, so we shall see.
cheer's for all of your help and I'll let you know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE