Kuksa buy-off

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Would there be enough interest for some Finnish market kuksa? These two models are perhaps the most common ones in Finnish markets and are among the cheapest ones. For comparison, the prices for a (partly) handmade kuksa will start from around 20 €. The one from Savotta is made out of non-Finnish tree species or otherwise known as Common Beech, while the other one is either from Birch or Oak depending the source. However do not think that they will be as durable as ones made out of a burl. Both models will hold from one to two deciliters of liquid.

The postage for one kuksa would be 3,85 € and 6,50 € for two.

1) Two-finger kuksa from Mononet - 4,50 €

537019.jpg

2) Two-finger kuksa by Savotta - 9,99 €

6419134860475.jpg

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I'd be interested in several. How would combined postage work out?

Depending the weight, the Finnish postal service, Posti, might or might not be the cheapest option. You can see their prices behind the link (choose "Maxi letter" --> length + width + thickness = 900mm), a kuksa weights around 150 grams. Forgot to mention it in my opening post but as usual with me, the only form of payment possible is a transfer to my IBAN account.

http://www.posti.fi/english/pricesandinstructions/

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Would it be cheaper to send in bulk to one person in the UK then split it up and post at local rates, rather than lots of international postage?
After some calculations I would estimate the saving to be around a half of a pound per kuksa if I would ship out around a dozen of them to a single person in United Kingdom. However the need to repack them and ship again would cost few days, I quess.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
These are very good and I brought home a bunch for people on here 18 months ago. They are really nice in the flesh and can be improved with a bit of sanding and further shaping. I have found mine more serviceable than my "proper" hand-carved kuksa. They make excellent gifts.

Last edited:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
These are very good and I brought home a bunch for people on here 18 months ago. They are really nice in the flesh and can be improved with a bit of sanding and further shaping. I have found mine more serviceable than my "proper" hand-carved kuksa. They make excellent gifts.

Hence my interest :)

I have one of the Nonsuch kuksas that gets used as my all-round drinking vessel when tipi-living. I'd like more so that I can give each family member one of their own.

Making my own kuksas may be an option but there are loads of other things I need to make too and I can't justify the time when such a good option is available.

Cheers!

Huon

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'd be interested, but I had a hell of a time paying for the last one, if someone would be kind enough to add mine to their order I will see they have the money up front.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I'd be interested, but I had a hell of a time paying for the last one, if someone would be kind enough to add mine to their order I will see they have the money up front.

No problem. I'll transfer for yours too if it is OK with Martti.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
To this date I have received 22 reservations for Savotta and 8 for Motonet (sic!). I will forward these figures to several different companies and we shall see what kind of discount we could have. I have decided to take additional reservations for both models up to the 1st of July 2012. After that date I will create an order list to this thread based on the reservations received.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE