Knife skills for kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 9, 2016
Surrey
What age do you think is suitable for getting started with bushcraft knife skills?

And what knife would you get them started with?

Thanks

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
I bought my son a mora knife, I think he was about 12 at the time. I then made him sign a form with some knife rules on do's and don’ts so he felt a bit more responsible. To be honest after he saw my hand after my axe kissed it he never used it for a bit :)

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I start teaching at Cubs, aged 8 using Mora fixed blades.
I started my son around 7, using opinel/my sheath knife. He had an opinel of his own at 8 and a Mora Scout at 10.
I will probably do the same for my daughter, but she might get a Mora Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
I've had folding knives since 6/7 and got my first mora at 9. My little brother got a mora classic 2/0 at 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
My son's Scout troop started them off with formal tuition at age 11/12, using penknives (my son has a Svord Peasant mini, which I think is a good choice, quite safe and stands out from otherwise universal Swiss army knives; I don't dislike SAKS btw!).

However we started him off whittling sticks (well, bark stripping) at about 4 I think. He used his mon premier Opinel, ie the small round-tipped one (and recommended by Opinel for 7 yrs and up). He'd sit out in front of our camp at Bushmoot for ages doing that - under supervision of course! He's been to many knife safety talks too, and talking to him afterwards, I was happy he'd taken it in.

Obviously you're going to know your own child - how coordinated they are, attention span, how they respond to instruction etc etc. In my case I was quite confident that he was ready for it - and that proved to be true. He's yet to cut himself (I know there's time & not to be complacent, but so far so good!)

Bit of a ramble; hope that helps!

Added: forgot to mention - he's now got a few other knives - a Condor mini Bushlore, a Mora companion (I think?) and a Mora Classic something. he's looked after them all too!

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ha ha, that's a hard question to answer as it's completely down to the individual and the adult with them, Thorin our son had a knife at 5, the girls had them young as well and used them quite regularly under supervision, he prepped fish, fires etc etc from that age and before, but he was contentious and I was confident in him and my ability to keep an eye on him and help. Some kids are considerate and sensible, some are not so it's a judgment call. As for a knife, I just made sure that they were small enough for a good grip in their smaller hands, i've got knives wit blunted tips that we use sometimes, I especially use those with kids I'm notes sure of or don't know.

To a point you just need to get now it it (within reason) and make the call on how happy you are. Obviously have a first aid kit and know hot to use it, get the safety stuff covered and the kid well indoctrinated on safety, their own and others and then get on....

Feb 9, 2016
Surrey
My son is 8 so thinking the time is right. Am going to start with a Mora fixed blade. There are some that have a blunted end which might prevent a few injuries.

I like the idea of having a sign or something that lists a few "house rules".

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Personally.

Regarding the knife. Has to be fixed blade.
Regarding the kid. Depends a very great deal on the kid and the adult teaching them. Our older had access to the sharp kitchen knife in the house from so young I can't remember when he started using it in the kitchen. Maybe that's a good starting place. He got an Enzo knife aged 7.

Our younger was kept away from Bushy knives them until at least 6 or 7.

I read once that "... in Bali they have 1 knife in the house used for everything and by everyone. A 6 years old will be so dextorus with it they will make a western master chef look clumsy".

It's all quite arbitary and must be based on assessment of awarenss and abilities.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
My daughter has just turned 9 I bought her a standard Mora a few months ago. When she is interested in practicing she makes feather sticks and steaks with a notch near the top. Not sure what to do with her next yet for knife skills. I have to watch her closely as she naturally concentrates on the knife in contact with the wood and is not always aware of the rest of the blade. A knife with a rounded tip may have been a good starter option but I'd have not put as much emphasis on whole blade awareness. I keep the knife with my gear and before it comes out of the sheath we always talk about the safety aspects.

Any suggestions for next lesson would be good.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have taught spoon carving and bow making to 6yr olds. 121 Tution with lots of breaks for the attention span to reset. Keep them hydrated and the sugar levels right. I am also doing workshops with people with dementia. That's challenging as they forget all the safety rules after about 5 minutes. So lots of back chaining and thinking about the safest approach to a task.

Our children are allowed to handle knives and axes as soon as they are able to pick them up (but not babies). We don't teach them same as you teach. They learn by doing, so often will imitate adults. My daughter could skin fox or other small animal by the time she eight or nine.

Most sons and some of active hunters can handle a knife /axe or draw knife and sharpen them same as adults by the time they are ten or twelve.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Avoid bad habits. Don't swing or chop at things. Always be aware of where the blade will go if you slip. Never cut towards femoral artery.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I taught my son the basics in knife skills round age 6.
Gave him his first fixed blade ( a Marttiini) and a folder ( Swiss Army multiblade) at the same time.
Many thought it was to soon, but as we started going sea fishing I think it was essential he could use a blade without cutting himself.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
If you're old enough to ask and try, you're old enough to hear and learn. I was brought up using sharps and guns from a young age and it made me both confident and responsible with them. Same goes with fire. Joe tahkahikew said it well there. Basically when you're old enough to hold one!
As for brands and design, I get blunted tips to a degree but then you can't learn to use the tip. Is definitely say steer clear of slipjoints, most non lockers with some exceptions imo can be dangerous in inexperienced hands because they can close up on fingers. A sturdy locker or fixy with a smaller grip would be a perfect choice

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Most things you should and shouldn't do with a knife are common sense and obvious, especially once they are pointed out. Maybe the single most important thing pointed out to me when I was learning to be a filleter on Grimsby Docks is/was....NEVER TRY TO CATCH A DROPPED KNIFE, sounds silly but it's a very difficult instinctive reaction to beat and not one of the most obvious, simply step back and let it fall.

D.B.

Keithlard

Feb 15, 2012
Cornwall
2emfqfd.jpg

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
My girls have just started using their Christmas presents of Victorinox vegetable peelers. Basically just stripping bark and trying to sharpen them a little, tent pegs. Trying to encourage awareness of cutting outside legs and far enough away from anyone so you couldn't hit them if you tried. They are a month off being 4 and 6 and have enjoyed it pretty sensibly so far. Agree with it depending on the kids though.

Edit, oh and always away from themselves...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
At 4 and 6 maybe, but many of the safest and strongest cuts are towards yourself. Slicing bark off away from yourself isn't actually the safest method.
At the moment it's stick across lap held firm and cut down and away from them to the side whilst they get the hang of finding the edge.
I freely concede I am simply making it up as I go along though :)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
At the moment it's stick across lap held firm and cut down and away from them to the side whilst they get the hang of finding the edge.
I freely concede I am simply making it up as I go along though :)

That is one of the most dangerous ways to cut.

It is only safe (to the person doing the cutting) if the knife is never brought on top of the leg (i.e. all cutting takes place outside of one leg).

The femoral artery is just inside of the upper thigh; if a blade catches it, you have seconds to stop the bleeding.

I'd suggest using a board on the lap or following something like this: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/12/12/a-beginners-guide-to-whittling/ or this (one minute in) http://whittling101.com/

Notice in the picture cutting away that they don't hold the wood on their lap in the first link. In the second link they never hold the wood on their lap.

For peeling bark, kneeling down, stick end into ground in front of you, hold it at the top slice down stick towards ground. That's pretty safe.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE