Knife sheath care

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKAndyB

Jun 30, 2018
Flintshire. North Wales
Hi, I own a Helle GT knife (present to me and fellow scout leaders a while ago), and have noticed the sheath is looking 'dry', especially around the area of the clasp.
What would you all recommend for taking care of the leather?
HELLE%20KNIFE_zpsyse5zrun.jpg

Thanks
Andy

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Doesn't look exactly dry, it looks like the leather is softening because you use your tools, thumbs up.

To answer, I use Ballistol for both my knife, its handle and the sheath. You can ofcourse go through the whole process of impregnating it with wax and all that, but that doesn't seem to be in order yet, judging on the photo.

Reactions: UKAndyB

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Kiwi shoe polish, but not the revive stuff as it has a dye in it that can alter the colour of the leather.

Reactions: santaman2000

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
iv been using mink oil on my sheaths as a final product, very similar properties to sno seal
warm the sheath a little and rub in, warm again to help it soak in some more and repeat several times over a few days or so and then as part of regular maintenance.

for dry cracking leather a little neatsfoot oil helps restore and soften but does darken leather, you dont need much, just a little on a cloth and rub it in.

Reactions: Stew

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Kiwi shoe polish, but not the revive stuff as it has a dye in it that can alter the colour of the leather.
^^^^What Kepis said^^^^

It’s just leather so whatever works for your shoes, saddle, or any other leather works well. I also use baseball glove oil occasionally but I imagine that’s rare there as such (however it’s mainly just neatsfoot oil with a few additives anyway)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Engine oil mixed with diesel fuel from the boat soaked into leather very well. Waterproof, too.
Everything was always wet so the trick was to try to get ahead of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE