Knife making competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Myself and XAnder were discussing this and decided it was too good of an idea not to open up to the entire forum
the general idea is make a knife but there are a few rules/conditions which i have detailed below

maximum cost of components £50 (not counting postage and packaging)

any componants you already have to be marked with an asterix

3 catagories
1 own made blade
2 purchased blade
3 pro knife maker
be nice to keep it with the £50 maximum budget

split between amateurs and professional makers should any choose to enter

competition to run from 1st of August until 1st of December

winner voted for using a public poll running from the 1st of December until the 7Th December

photos must be posted of the items before assembly and after it is made

links of suppliers can be included (this in part may act as a reference for people to be pointed to for knife making supplies and also allow the cost of materials to be checked)

No knife making kits to allow an even playing field

Sheath not essential for the competition

a prize of a personal First Aid Kit for the amateur winner of both Cats

Who's game for a laugh?

Add on from hillbill below-
I have just spoken to Sam ( man of tanith) and i have agreed to do heat treatment for people who wish to make their own blades. I reckon you all should :) I do not wish to earn anything from this, but there will be costs involved with the work. There would be £20 to pay in total. So if 10 enter and want HT doing then it will only be £2 per blade. Plus return postage, per person. The HT will be done in an Evenheat digitally controlled knife kiln.

If anyone wishes to use stainless then i can heat treat that too. But if anyone does can you stick to one type, Sandvik 12c27 for example as they all HT differently. Much easier to have a few of the same type.

So if any of our members wish to enter but were worried by the HT process then fear not. It'll be in good hands. :)

DRIFTWOODWALKER HAS OFFERED A NECK KNIFE AS A PRIZE, I AM GOING TO ADD ANOTHER POLL BETWEEN THE WINNER OF AMATUER WHO MAKES OWN BLAED AND AMATUER WHO USED A PREMADE BLADE ONCE THE TWO WINNERS ARE DECIDED. IN ORDERTO PREVENT POSSIBLE COMPLAINTS ALTHOUGH I WILL PARTICIPATE I SHALL NOT ENTER MYSELF IN THE COMPETITION

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'll play. :) Hopefully some of the more experienced makers will join in too. Good things come out of healthy competion. It encourages makers to make new stuff ;)

If not, i'll still play, but will not be entering for a prize. :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have just spoken to Sam ( man of tanith) and i have agreed to do heat treatment for people who wish to make their own blades. I reckon you all should :) I do not wish to earn anything from this, but there will be costs involved with the work. There would be £20 to pay in total. So if 10 enter and want HT doing then it will only be £2 per blade. Plus return postage, per person. The HT will be done in an Evenheat digitally controlled knife kiln.

If anyone wishes to use stainless then i can heat treat that too. But if anyone does can you stick to one type, Sandvik 12c27 for example as they all HT differently. Much easier to have a few of the same type.

So if any of our members wish to enter but were worried by the HT process then fear not. It'll be in good hands. :)

Cheers for that
all sounds like witchery to me but might make sense to some of you

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It doesn't have to be a full tang, and your knives are very good :)

I may even have a go at a stick tang :)

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
can i start the list of for hillbills heat treatment thank you for doing this regards dave
1,dave53

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
What steel would that be mate?

Ideally, if we could keep to using one type of carbon steel and one of stainless, that would help a lot when it came to HTing them. :)

can i start the list of for hillbills heat treatment thank you for doing this regards dave
1,dave53

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE