Kitaholics Anonymous

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
"Hello, my name is Womble, and I'm a kitaholic..."

Every now and then I check up on what stuff I've got, and get a little worried when I realise I'm thinking about getting more. For instance:

Sleeping bags:
2 one season (one regular, one compact)
2 three season (one regular, one compact)
1 British Army Artic (admittedly 20 years old)
1 fleece liner
1 silk liner...
And I'm considering getting another Army bag (latest model)!

Tents:
1 french army goretex bivvy bag
1 one man (pro action)
1 two man (Wolfskin termite 2)
1 three man (Blacks Solway)
1 five man superdome
1 Hennesy Hammock (WITH hex-fly)

Cookers:
1 Trangia
1 Coleman mountain stove
1 Campinggaz 2 ring stove (very poor)
And I've seen a really nice compact stove at the weekend.

At least I've only got 3 sheaf knives...

Oh yes, and a small forrest axe...
And, er, a billhook...
Oh yes, all those pen knives...

...help!

jakunen

Native
Hmm, sounds familiar....

Started off with everything fitting in one 75L pack, then also on top of the wardrobe, then also the top section of the wardrobe as well, and now one half of my cupboard too...

Three assorted sleeping bags with another in the post.
Three tents.
A hommock.
One bivi.

3 packs.

3 puukus.
5 SAKs.
1 chinese piece of ****.
1 Wetterlings.
1 gollock.
1 machete.
1 leuku to be ordered...
1 newton to be ordered...

AAAAGHHHH!!!!!!! It's catching!!!

G

Ginja

Know exactly what you mean here! I often think I need to hire a bushcraft feng shui consultant to help me 'steamline' my kit list ... has been commented by friends that I have an awful lot of stuff for someone who supposedly enjoys 'roughing it' !! Though of course, I never take EVERYTHING out with me ... all the more reason to stick to the basics, perhaps?

Perhaps we should form a new 'AA' - accessories anonymous?

G ;-)

G

Ginja

Don't get me onto shoes ... ! I have actually managed to bore several of my female hiking friends rigid with talk of the latest boots - quite an achievement for a fella! Almost proud of myself ... :wink:

G

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Far be it from me to criticise Ginja, be proud...be very proud!!

(Did I mention how much I love my new Britisth Army poncho?)
:shock:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I don't know about Adi, but Stuart sort of transends normal Kitaholism, in an effort to never carry more than will fit in two PLCE side pockets he has blagged, borrowed or...:tapedshut: :roll: just about every bit of kit that can be thought of. Its pointless showing him your latest exciting aquisition, he will have had one, for free, 6 months ago, found things wrong with it, and moved on to a superior product :banghead: :rolmao:

Since I make knives it isn't fair to count...I have something like 18 :roll:

What is really worrying for me is that "bushcraft" is just the latest in a line of interests, all of which needed full kitting out. Now my kit fills my room, the spare room, my room at my parents', part of the garage, part of my parents' garage, and the corners of my living room.

L

Little Mole

Don't get me started on shoes. I have very wide and big feet and find it very hard to get anything comfortable unless I go to men's shoe shops. Currently wearing British army assault boots. They're actually quite comfy.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I'm now a closet kitaholic since I got married, when I was single I used to get lots of shiney things, had more than 40 knives, incuding the Alan Wood Woodlore and the WS micarta. Sleeping bags would change with the season, from Mountain Equipment, Snugpack, Isuued ones and now Nanook. I still see so many things that I really really need but am trying to stop myself from buying them, although I have just ordered myself a Ventile windshirt from Hilltrek and a couple of T shirts from Tony so I'm not doing too badly. It's not just women who need retail therapy you know!

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
OK, OK, I have a problem :roll:
I am a serious kitaholic, my biggest problems are my knife and clothes fettish.....

I have several high tech jackets, wind blockers to keep the wind out, goretex jackets which keep out rain but do not vent as well, softshells which keep most of the wind and rain out but do allow ventilation. I have two layer and three layer goretex, heavy weight TNF jacket, middle weight Berghaus and lightweight Arc'teryx. Now, I have decided I need a ventile jacket (I will post pictures soon). I have enough tops to dress a full mountain expedition, from wicking to windblocking, from cotton to merino wool. It's sickening :eek:):

I would list my knives, but there is not enough space on the board to hold the list. Allready I know I need more.......as a colleague on knifeforums said :"must have shiny things".

It's all very ZEN, "through greater suffering comes greater enjoyment"
By attempting to rough it in the bush or in the mountains, we get to enjoy our shiny things and posh appartment even more. By having more, we feel even closer to nature when we go without.

Gotta love the human mind!! Trust me, it's something primeval.

Lennart

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
We used to call them "gear freaks" and yes I am one. Main problem is that I can't resist a bargain and there are plenty of bargains if you look hard and long enough :nono:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE