Kit you wouldn't recommend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I got this idea on an American forum and it threw up all sorts of good advice and healthy debate :grouphug:

As a newbie, there's nothing worse in getting gearcraft fever and buying stuff just to tick it off the list and then realise it isn't up to the job.

So is there any kit you wouldn't recommend (and why?)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Black deployment bag like this
Black%20deployment_bag.jpg

- huge and looks the business but the quality on these things is appalling - I had to stitch mine up again along faulty stitch lines. You can pick em up from between £9.99 and £50 depending on where you shop. Now I've fixed it's up it useful as a kit bag but I wouldn't trust it out and about.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I suppose unless its absolutely appauling then its down to personal preference/experience's, i might get on really well with one sleeping bag (or had a warm nights sleep) but then the next person might not like it (have a cold sleep) Etc.

But i think its a good idea to give people a heads up on poor performing kit then they don't make the same mistake...

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Can't say I've bought really bad kit, but I have wasted a lot of money replacing heavy kit. You're better off buying right the first time and a crucial consideration, especially when you're going to be gathering it all one bag, is how much each little bit weighs.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I was given one of those deployment bags, I like it, it's perfect for my chainsaw gear, but then, your mileage may vary :)

Dave

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I was given one of those deployment bags, I like it, it's perfect for my chainsaw gear, but then, your mileage may vary :)

Dave

Trust me, had it not come to pieces it would have been a great bit of kit - but when it did fall apart it prompted me to do a quick search and I found mine wasn't the only one with dodgy stitching.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I'd say the bcb commando hacksaw.
Although a great idea, the use of ingerior materials makes it useless and a waste of hardearned cash.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
The crusader cooking system. Tried it, modded it slightly (small burner that still allowed folding arm to seat) and just cant get on with it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Berghaus Vulcan

So big that you throw everything you own into it, and then it's so heavy that it's uncomfortable to carry more than fifty yards.

(runs for cover)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE