Kit thats come and gone ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I was thinking this morning about kit that's come and gone in the world bushcraft and now seems out of favour

Snugpak cocoon , (still fancy one of these though )

ventile poncho ,

swandri bush jacket seems to of gone ,

Swedish army cook set on the way out ,

woodlore knifes don't seem as big as thay were.

Any more ???

I wonder what will come and go next ??

Last edited:
orange survival bags....
survival knives (hollow handle with survival kit in handle and a compass)
old school mess tins.
maglites.

all were defacto kit when i was a scout doing back woodsman stuff (90's) all now gone but once they were the height of cool/essential kit.

poncho liners
the enamelled plates/bowls/mugs.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Funny you should post this, but last night I was looking back at some pics from the last couple of years.
Some of the kit and setups I used that I was more than happy with that I moved on for new and better.
Looking back some of the stuff I wish I still had, Swedish army mess kit, LA Strike, foam mats, all gone now in favor of "better kit". Not always the case and could have saved loads of money.

if you have several of Mr Mesrs books you can trace his change in kit thats come n gone too.
The survival handbook he's got an estwing hatchet, opinel pocket knife, ceramic sharpening rods and the dartmoor knife.
outdoor survival handbook he's moved to woodlore knife and a tomahawk
essential bushcraft its Gransfors Bruks Small Forest axe.

if its good enough for ray its good enough for me :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
army greatcoats, hurricane lamps, radio luxemburg, plimsolls, hand-knitted by mom balaclavas, and old-fashioned army & navy stores where the kit from got from in the first place and where i got my first pair of binoculars which was an ex WW2 Royal Navy pair with aiming reticle in the lens.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Well, I for one am still using my Woodlore, by far the best knife I own, even if it is "just" the Wilkinson Sword one. And I'm just sorting out a Swedish army cookset to keep in my newly acquired Discovery 2.

Dave

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Trip down memory lane this:-

Northern Light , Brass Sierra Cups. Really must clean mine up.

Chris Reeves Jerboam. The only hollow handle I've ever really fancied (apart from my old Swedish Army Bayonette MOD from the 80's)

Ancient German Army spleeping bag with arms that turned into a parka!

Hand knitted woollen socks to go with your breeches and boots with the red laces!

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Trip down memory lane this:-

Northern Light , Brass Sierra Cups. Really must clean mine up.

Chris Reeves Jerboam. The only hollow handle I've ever really fancied (apart from my old Swedish Army Bayonette MOD from the 80's)

Ancient German Army spleeping bag with arms that turned into a parka!

Hand knitted woollen socks to go with your breeches and boots with the red laces!

I had one of those german army sleeping bags and my god it was a sweat box. A real blast from the past. Good for tree watering in the dead of night though. :eek:

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Interesting Thread. Id say just cos something is "not in style" doesn't mean its not useful or a good product. Orange survival bags. If you have ever used one in an emergency you would never be without one. For price and weight added to your pack they are a life saver! Canvas gear and wool blankets a few years ago were poo pood! Now look how they have proved there worth as they had in the past. Fads come and go, but good equipment works all the time! JMO.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I agree "not in style" doesn't mean its not useful or a good product, it just that some things a times are must have ,,,then there gone ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,until the next time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE