Kit Storage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I wonder if bushcraft gear has it's own gravitational pull, I place one piece in a room and suddenly it is a pile of gear with no order. :eek:

I am currently looking to redecorate one of my rooms which is used as a library/study, it isn't a very big room, on one wall I currently have 3 standard bookcases that you can get out of homebase. I was thinking of moving the middle one and having a sytem for my gear in it's place.

Does anyone have any good storage ideas/systems for their gear?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Store most of my camping kit in my camping rucksack.
Rucksack then goes under the bed
Sleeping bag and down jacket go in the wardrobe together with my clothes.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Raw plugs and screws in the wall is strong enough to hang a pack filled with gear. Besides that I store winter kit hung in the loft in big sacks.
Lucky to have storage in the workshop/garage too. Sometimes having more space means you keep more kit that you dont really need.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sleeping bags - on top of the wardrobe in big bags
Jackets, boots and trousers - in wardrobe
Knives - on display in the living room
Axes, billhooks, saws - under workroom table
Groundsheets, tarps, stoves, cookwear, craft tools (cordage, woodcarving, flint knapping etc) - in bags in plastic storage boxes/wicker baskets under the pattern cutting/ironing table in the workroom
General clothing - in the draws under my bed.
Self inflating mats, MOD bed, down mat - under my bed
Rucksacks, tents, fabrics, leather etc - in a shelving stack in the corner of the workroom
Sewing machines - on shelf in my workroom
Sewing "bits", cordage - bookshelf in workroom
Dyes, paints, sewing machine accessories, threads etc - on a corner bookshelf in the workroom
Patterns, manuals, sharpening kit, irons, glues etc - bookshelves high on the workroom wall.
Photo kit - on high book shelf in workroom
Books, maps, photos etc - living room bookshelves
PC - living room
Guns bows, quivers etc Iron Age and primitive spears behind the workroom door
Sales kit for craft fairs etc - on workroom floor in plastic storage boxes
Wine making - kitchen, pantry, "garage" and my bedroom
Bench grinder, belt and disk grinder, Aldi dremmel clones,drills, "forge", anvil, dye barrels, canoe kit, waxing kit, pole drying, tarp drying, glue making kit and other dirty work tools - in what , long ago, was called "the garage"
My workroom used to be a small double bedroom - or large single.... kinda crowded now....

Last edited:

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I try to keep stuff in order, but it inevitably gets shifted, moved and regrouped. I kind of know where the important stuff is though.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Sorry mate. Mines all over the place. Pee's the missus right off.:)

Yep, same here!

In the house, workshop, attic, etc. The trouble is that most of my 'bushy' clothing is also my everyday clothing so jackets live in the utility room, the front porch, etc. There is always a pile of gear in the hall that needs sorting out and that extends into the porch area as well along with some craft tools. None of this goes down well with SWMBO:confused:

I do have a 20 foot container which has the bigger gear in, tents, rucksacks, tarps, canoeing & climbing gear, pulk, skis, etc. My plan is to sort out the other junk in there and have 95% of the outdoor gear in there soonish so it will all be sorted and save me from some more ear ache, which in some way, I have to admit, is justified:rolleyes:

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I store my kit in the spare bedroom and loft, I would like to store it in the garage but we live in a rural location and I am to worried about mice eating it all, our cat is 18 and has now retired from pest control duties.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
All of my gear sits in several XL North face bags, in lofts, atop wardrobes etc.

I used to have a system where I could hang packs and bags along the top of a wall keeping the floor clear, the hooks were 1" wooden dowels inserted into a length of CLS timber that was both attached to the wall and supported by some ikea shelves at each end. A very strong setup.

Last edited:
Most stuff goes on shelving in the garage.
So dutch ovens cook pots axes etc on one shelf.
Chairs on another etc etc
Knives live indoors beneath my bed.
Possibles pouch/belt kit, loaded day bag and also an over night bag all packed bar grub and water live beneath my bed as well.
This is helped because I use blankets most the time in preference to sleeping bags so no concerns at the loft going funny from being compressed.
Sleeping bags and clothes live in wardrobe

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Bed side pile
dy7ytepu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I keep it all in 100l dry bags, and smaller packs underneath my bad and in a large wardrobe in the spare bedroom. It's quite organised, well the most used stuff is, the stuff that doesn't see too much use, usually spare stuff, things I've restored are harder to find but overall it works well. I'm one of the people who has to have a tidy bedroom and everywhere, I hate mess! So I guess that helps :).

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've done, and still do, most if not all of the above; it's still a midden-heap and I can't find anything in much less than half an hour!

Except my day bag, cook/brew kit, and clothes/boots; I'm anal about those things and they're always in proper order and well-fettled..............Oh yeah, the dog is always fit and ready to go :)

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Six by eight garden shed with three stories top level rocksacks sleeping bags and mats middle level axes stoves fishing gear bottom cycle tumble dryer and Hoover various bows and kayak paddles

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE